Monday, March 28, 2011

Rainy March Monday Daybook

Outside my window...
...the incessant thunderstorms from the past few days seem to have stopped for a while.  The roads are drying up.  The dogwoods are in full bloom, along with the redbuds, but all the other flowering trees are past their prime and turning green.  The cherry trees seemed to bloom and fade more quickly than usual this year. :-(

I am thinking...
...about not much.  Too sleepy to think on this chilly, damp day.  All I can think of is that I'd like to be warm and asleep!

I am thankful for...
...a fire in the fireplace today.  And a home to come to.  As I was driving through the torrential downpour today, I was thinking about how it would feel to have this lovely area where I live completely and utterly destroyed.  Then I started thinking of the likelihood of something like that happening, here.  Fortunately, most of the acts of God that create such widespread destruction are rare here.

From the schoolroom kitchen table...
...More Civil War. 
...memorizing "Jabberwocky" 

From the kitchen...
...Nutella Mug Cakes for dessert yesterday.  Dark and rich and calorie-laden!  The first one cooked for 2 mins. in the microwave and was perfect---fully cooked with just a little "sauce" around the edges for moistness.  Even though we set each one on 2 mins., some were cooked a little too much, and one hardly at all.  Weird.

Anyway, they are DEFINITELY for sharing!  All my gluttonous little people wanted a whole one, and they were all stuffed after just a half.  Not everyone managed to finish a half, and we didn't even top it with whipped cream!  

I think mug cakes are a great way to indulge on Sunday (if you're the sort who breaks your fast on Sunday) and not have any leftovers for Monday.

I am creating...
...A Linen Stitch scarf, and a Dragonfly shawl.  After starting and ripping out 4 times, I think I've got the hang of the Entomology shawl.  Learning how to do the beading was tricky, but it will be worth it for that added sparkle!

I am reading...
...One Thousand Gifts.  Still reading sporadically.  And writing my lists sporadically.  But I'm working on them in my head, which is an improvement over not being grateful at all.

...Jesus of Nazareth.  Lenten reading.  I'm behind, but I love it so far.

...At Home: A Short History of Private Life.  He's full of it; it's anything but a short history.   The only other book I've read by Bryson was A Walk in the Woods which I really enjoyed.  His writing style makes me L.O.L. all the time, even when it's a "history" book.  But this book is much, much denser than I expected and I don't see how there is anyway for me to finish it in the 2 weeks allotted by the library.  

And to make matters worse, the 2 Stephanie Pearl-McPhee (a.k.a. Yarn Harlot) books I ordered from the library are waiting for me now.


I am hoping...
...for a fruitful Lent.

I am hearing...
...kids dancing (or something) in the kitchen when they should be eating lunch.  Why can't they focus on one activity at a time?

Around the house...
...The Front Door.  It's falling apart.  We knew it was in need of being replaced because we don't get any direct sunlight during the day and it stays damp, but it seems that as soon as we actually started the process of finding someone to do the work, it decided to implode.   I hope it can hold out until the HOA approves our application and the new door gets ordered and comes in!

I am going...
...to the HOA
...to Home Depot  to order my door, if they give me permission to do that before their approval process is complete!
....to the library
...to pick up TMax after his LAST (thank you, God!) late drama day.  I'm so glad the show is over, but it was awesome.  Seriously one of the best high school productions I've ever seen.

One of my favorite things...
...Bookclub meetings with some wild, chatty ladies who are very fun.

I am praying for...
...all the poor souls, living and dead, in Japan
...the rescue workers
...the soul of a fellow-homeschooling mother who just passed away from MS, and her family
...the mother of a friend who is very near the end
...our priests

A few plans for the rest of the week...

...Choir, school,  no AHG


A Thought for the day...
Stop by As Cozy As Spring---Jen is having an awesome raffle for anyone who donates to the one of the relief funds for Japan.  If you haven't made a donation yet, maybe the sight of her beautiful yarn or Melissa Wiley's out-of-print book will encourage you!
~~~~~
More Daybooks HERE

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for dropping by! I would love to hear from you. Have a beautiful day! :-)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...