Friday, March 18, 2011

7 Quick Takes




1.  I wish I had a picture of last night's dinner for St. Patrick's Day! It was yummy, but it was very late and everyone was ready to eat.  We had Reubens with mashed redskin potatoes and fried cabbage w/ bacon.  Oh, and don't forget the Irish Soda Bread.  I even bought a little shamrock plant for fun.  So unlike me.

2.  I was going to say that we have a field trip scheduled for today, but here it is 7.5 hours later and we're back from said field trip.  And exhausted.  That is, I am, but the kids have run off to play with friends before we hop back into the car for tonight's Fish Fry.


3.  We had a field trip today (bet you're surprise to hear that!) to an antebellum home called Barrington Hall.  It's a local house that I didn't even know existed until very recently; it belonged to the son of Roswell King, the entrepreneur who was responsible for the growth of his eponymous town.  There are a couple of other such houses in Roswell, also, but I didn't know about this one because it sits up on the highest bluff in town and you really can't see it if you're the one driving the car and not craning your neck out the window.  It's a gorgeous home that was built in 1842 and was kept in the family up until 2003.  Evidently, they gradually sold off their 1500 acres to try to hold on to it.


The shutters are more of a mint green now since they scraped the paint off and found that was the original color!

4.  If it's Friday, it must be fish.  Fry, that is.  Every year I swear to myself that the only Lenten sacrifice I'm going to make is to go to the fish fry every Friday without complaining.  Then you'd see some serious growth in holiness!  However, I'd prefer to complain about it since it really does wear me out every Friday.  Not that our hardworking, ever-ready-to-help Knights of Columbus don't do a great job.  They do.  I'm just not a big fan of the menu.  Tonight I think I'll skip my only joy, which is to sit with friends and knit until dh is finished working and we can go home, and I'll go to the Stations of the Cross instead.

5.  I didn't do the knitalong this week, but I've made quite a bit of progress on my Entomology shawl.  I'm loving it.  What I really love is learning tricks to fix the mistakes without having to take out many rows.  Ahem.  You'll never notice when I'm wearing it!

6.  Every. Single. Time. I type that word --- Entomology --- I swear it is spelled wrong, but the spellchecker doesn't underline it.  I want to spell it ENTYMOLOGY.  But I guess that would be wrong, huh?

7.  Still, still, still, reading Alice I Have Been.  I like it; I'm just not that into it.  Oh, but that means I don't like it, doesn't it?  Well, maybe so, maybe no.  When I finish it, I'll let you know the final verdict.   But today I checked out Alice in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass on CD for our carpool trips.  I wonder if I'll feel differently about them having read (almost) this book (which is, of course, "faction").

~~~~~~
Have a great weekend, y'all!


1 comment:

  1. We love reubens. During Lent we eat mock reubens, meaning without the meat. This is actually preferred over the ones with meat.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by! I would love to hear from you. Have a beautiful day! :-)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...