Tuesday, June 25, 2013

June Daybook

FOR TODAY
(and for last week...because I started this last Monday(!), and never finished, and I figured if I had to start afresh, I wouldn't finish again.  So, now you get a little snapshot of what has changed in the past week!)

Outside my window...
Mostly cloudy.  More summer storms expected today.  Last night there were 4 baby bunnies in the front yard!  Unfortunately, they didn't want to play with us.   We haven't seen the bunnies in days; they must have grown up already!

I am thinking...
About how fast swim team has passed!  Only 2 meets left.  We'll be finished next Tuesday, FINISHED!  and then the County meet, and the "banquet" which is going to be a pool party this year.  I'm sure it has gone faster because 2 meets were called on account of thunderstorms!  It's too bad that swim meets have to be in the summer when we have all these storms.  ;-)

I am thankful...
Pip was able to go to Boy Scout camp.  Poor guy fell off his ripstik---he was going too fast on a hill because he had to avoid a car---and broke his wrist.  He was supposed to spend the week on a special whitewater rafting trip, but he was able to get into some merit badge classes instead.  He'll have a good time, but he won't be hanging out on the water with his best friends!  We were both so sad when the doctor told us he needed a cast; he had been looking forward to this trip for weeks.

From the school table...
We've purchased most of Tom's books, all of Meg's, and we're just waiting for Pip's booklist to come out. Pip's booklist came out and I bought 1/3 of his books only to hear that there were mistakes.  But the revised list is out and the changes weren't too devastating, so Mr. UPS is here almost every day.  :-)

In the kitchen...
Katie spent the day here yesterday last week, and we struggled to make macarons for the first time.  Epic failure.  They still tasted yummy, but did not look very good.

I am wearing...
A short dress over long shorts.  Comfy and cool, today.  Bare feet.  No exercise on the calendar.  :-D

I am knitting...
Nothing.  :-(  Finished my Flat Ripple Afghan yesterday, though I may put another border around it.  I started crocheting a tote bag to use up all the little balls of yarn that I have while I was gazillions of episodes of Lark Rise to Candleford.

I am going...
Nowhere is on the schedule for today!  I think I'll be staying home, cutting out freezer-paper stencils for an AHG event coming up.  (While watching Lark Rise to Candleford!)

I am reading...
Save Send Delete...on my Kindle.  I can't remember who recommended it, but it's sort of a Catholic apologetics novel.  A new form of the epistolary novel told through emails between strangers where the heroine starts by sending an email rant to an atheist English lord who annoyed her on tv.  It's interesting and entertaining; I'm interested to see where it goes.

Edited to add:  So, it goes all over the world.  Mira (I think that's her name, no one ever uses it, because she does all the talking, and has only referred to herself in the 3rd person once.  That I recall.) has had a life filled with travel (hitch-hiking in 3rd world countries, or teaching in Nepal), so it's a series of emails to Rand (say that, Rahhnd) talking about her travels and experiences and how God fits into all that.  I'd really like to know more of what Rand thinks---we only read her emails, and have to guess at what his reply was.  Will she convert him?  Will they ever meet?

Gilead, by Marilynne Robinson.  A Pulitzer Prize winning novel! (That's a joke.  It is...a Pulitzer prize-winner... but if you've seen Man of Steel maybe you'll get it.  If not, just ignore the exclamation point and move on.)   This one comes recommended by my recent college graduate, Brendan.  Another epistolary novel, of sorts, in that it seems to be one long letter written by a Congregationalist preacher to his son.  I haven't read very much, but the language makes me laugh out loud sometimes.  I hope it's going to be as wonderful as Brendan says.

I am hoping and praying...
...for a mom of 6 with cervical cancer.  She'll be having a c-section Friday at 34 weeks, and then start heavy duty chemo 2 weeks later.  Please pray.  I can't image the challenges of a premie, a large family, a severely disabled child, and stage 3 cancer all at once.

Updated:  C-section went well, and baby arrived at over 5 lbs., so that's a bonus, I think.

I am looking forward to...

  • Going to the beach with the extended family.  Lots of long walks on the beach with my sweetheart. 
  • New fiber for spinning at the beach when it's too hot or rainy to be on the beach!!
  • New siding on my chimney today (maybe that'll help keep critters out of my attic!)
  • New paint on my house next month.  (I've been driving my family bonkers trying to choose a new color scheme!)

(Which ones, you ask?  None of those! I was so over it, that I didn't even get a sample of the ones I finally, FINALLY, chose!)

Around the house...
All the big kids came home to celebrate Father's Day on Saturday, and Tom and I managed to clean up all our messes in the library!  It's so nice to have this room clean again!!
That didn't last long.  ;-)

One of my favorite things...
Quiet mornings.  I feel those slipping away already.  Some people have only just finished school, but we are practically done with swim team (banquet and county meet this week), and it seems like school is just around the corner (though, if I do the math, it's closer to 7 weeks than the 3 it feels like!).

A few plans for the rest of the week...
Chimney, swim banquet, cutting stencils, County swim meet.

Here is picture thought I am sharing...

(Not those, either!)

Hosted by The Simple Woman's Daybook

1 comment:

  1. 'start afresh?' who are you, Maria Lucas from P&P? ;)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by! I would love to hear from you. Have a beautiful day! :-)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...