Thursday, May 7, 2009

A Day to Remember



After lots of days of rain and lots of longing to go strawberry picking , we finally had enough of a break in the weather to go. The farm is near UGA so we were going to either take KT with us, or just visit afterwards. Because of her exam schedule we ended up picking her up post-exam and going back to her place to load a bunch of her stuff in the car since she's coming home tomorrow (!) after her last exam.



It was a lovely day for strawberry picking---any later in the day and it would have been way too hot.


The four of us had a lovely time looking at the animals, picking a bucketful of delicious berries each, and playing in the "cornbox" was the most fun. Like a sandbox, only cornier.




They had a lot of fun in there and everyone took a turn getting buried. Except maybe the Little Princess because Pipster immediately threw a bucket of corn on her face, none too gently, and she decided she didn't like that game! Small wonder.


Children of the Corn

After berries and fun we headed for Athens to eat lunch and pick up KT. Loaded up the car and headed home. It was a very pleasant, though slightly longer drive home, listening to the ipod and eating the occasional strawberry, when:

The shattering conclusion to our trip.

Just 2 miles from the safety of our driveway! (We're all fine, except for maybe a little whiplash.) We were rear-ended by a Dodge Ram pulling a (mercifully empty) trailer. And of course we hit the car in front of us, too, since he hit us so hard.

KT, I'm afraid your boxes may be full of shattered glass....and you should shake out those clothes and shoes carefully before you wear them!)

Airbags did NOT deploy, which is surprising considering the severity of the hit, so I hit my head on the steering wheel and the paramedics recommended a trip to the ER just to get checked out since the dude totally destroyed the back end of my car. So my children had to see this:

That's not blood on my neck, just a tag on the collar!

I don't know why they had to take a picture, but there it is. I thought it was way too much in the way of precautions, and I felt so sorry for the very apologetic young man who hit us. He was pretty devastated when they put me on the stretcher, bless his heart. And he had to drive all the way home to Alabama after that.


That's our rear window all over his hood, and in his cab, too!

I'm fine, though. All my xrays and CT scans came out negative. I just have a big ole goose egg on my forehead, and lots of drugs for the pains that they tell me are coming! Children seem to be fine, although they may be a little sore, too, down the road.


Laudate Dominum, y'all! God is good.

5 comments:

  1. Car accidents are scary hopefully everyone will continue to be okay and will heal just fine.

    I have to say the one picture of your boys in the corn was a little scary at first. It took me a minute to realize what I was looking at. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my, Sara!! I'm so glad that you are all okay!!! So sorry that you had to go through that. I hope that you feel okay today and that your neck dosen't suffer in the future. Oh, terrible. I'm thinking of you today!!
    A big (but gentle) hug for you!
    Shannon

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad everyone is ok!

    And that picture of your boys in the corn is great! So creative! Reminds me of the Shel Silverstein poem.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness!!!! I am so glad that you are all okay!! I'll be praying for a quick recovery for you!

    The picture of your boys in the corn is SO FUNNY!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Sara!! Youch! I hope you are feeling better! I can't believe I missed this post. :-(((

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by! I would love to hear from you. Have a beautiful day! :-)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...