Sunday, July 3, 2011

Happy Sunday!

We had a rather eye-opening experience today when we went to Mass!

We decided to attend the 7:30 a.m. Mass all together because Tom and Pip needed to go before going to summer camp.  Drop off time was at 9:00, so rather than go yesterday at 5:00 p.m., we opted for this morning.

Around 7:40 we were starting to wonder where the priest was, and, sure enough, they announced that no priest had shown up and we would just have a communion service.  Now, I don't know the "rules" about such matters, but we really wanted to get to an actual Mass before the boys had to go.  So, we're sitting there pondering our options when my Dear Husband had an inspiration:

We could just go down the hall to the Family Center where Mass was being celebrated in Spanish!

We did, and at least one other couple followed us.  Don followed more of the homily than I did, since I've never had any real Spanish education, but we followed the Mass and I said the English responses in Meg's ear so she'd know where we were.  It was different, but it was Mass, and it was good.

We did hear that they made an announcement that anyone could go to the Spanish Mass after we left (because Don had told the Deacon where we were going).  But we wonder why they didn't just send everyone down there to begin with!  Surely a readily available Mass should be preferred over a communion service even if it's in a different language?  I don't think it's very different from the past where many of the less educated folks probably didn't understand the Latin Mass.

What do you think?  Where would you have gone?  Another English-speaking parish?  Stayed for the Communion service?  Or the Spanish Mass?  And why, of course.

I hope you're having a beautiful Sunday and Fourth of July Weekend!

3 comments:

  1. I am in my mid 30's and have always attended the Tridentine Latin Mass. Some people may scoff at the Latin, but doesn't your situatution today validate the reason the Mass was in Latin in the first place? So that Catholics the world over could have the universal sacrifice that our dear Lord instituted.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would have gone to the Spanish mass. I understand much more Spanish than I can speak (so far ;)In fact I make a point of going to a Spanish language celebration of Our Lady of Guadalupe each year bc the music is beautiful. My parish offers 5 masses in English, 1 in Italian and 1 in Spanish each weekend. I know a few people who work on Sunday and attend the Italian Mass because its very early. The amazing thing about Mass is that it isnt simply a prayer service, the real presence comes through and touches your heart no matter the language

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous---we say that all the time. If it were just in Latin, we wouldn't have what amounts to 2 separate parishes sharing space. Though to be fair, our new pastor is doing more to bring the 2 together than anyone else has. Maybe that's why he didn't show up for Mass! ;-)

    Cynthia, I understand more French than Spanish, so that would be better for me. But it doesn't matter, Mass transcends the language.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by! I would love to hear from you. Have a beautiful day! :-)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...