Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Happy New Year to Me!

Yesterday was such a pleasant day! It was my birthday, for those of you who don't know! But I didn't want to do a "Happy Birthday to this wonderful person in my life" post. So, here I am today to tell you about it!

It was just an ordinary day, really. I learned a long time ago that if I expect everyone to spoil me rotten and do things for me all day, then it will be a really. bad. day. But if I go about my ordinary business and do what needs to be done, it will be fine.

So, I started my day as usual with a workout with the Master of My World. Okay, not "as usual" because I've been a total slacker this summer. But, out we went into the dark, early morning and did our sprints past the sleeping neighbors' houses. We didn't talk much because the sprinting doesn't leave time or breath for speaking, but we enjoyed being together.

I started the laundry, as usual, cleaned up my bathroom (not usual!) and had breakfast. Then I took the Pipster to the orthopedist to see if he had broken his wrist on Friday night. When he came in crying and holding his arm, I was pretty sure he had broken it because it was a little too much like last summer when he broke his arm! This time, it wasn't bad enough to be obvious, but moms can just tell, you know.

Now, I also know that not every break requires a trip to the ER or Children's Hospital or even the Urgent Care center (especially not there because they just xray it, say it's broken, and send you on your way with a splint or a brace with an admonishment to see an orthopedist on Monday). Even my friend the ER Dr. has been known to wait a really long time when he wasn't sure a bone was broken!

After shelling out the big bucks for those braces they use a couple of times, I started keeping them in my first aid kit. Fortunately (?!) we just happened to have a left-handed brace in the right size from when TMax broke his wrist a couple of years ago. So, we slapped that puppy on and sent him to bed. Saturday, I discovered that our new orthopedist does not have Saturday hours. AND I discovered that Madden did not need his appointment that was already scheduled for Monday morning, so I decided to pull the old patient switch on them. They weren't real thrilled with that, but they saw him anyway. It gave us another day or so to watch him and decide if it was broken, but I was pretty sure, judging from his pain level, that it was.

Wait a second, I thought this post was about me and my birthday! Well, you see, it's not about me and it shouldn't be because that just leads to disappointment.

Anyway, back to the orthopedist yesterday----Pipster has a minor buckle fracture of his ulna...radius...the bigger one, but he doesn't need a cast, just that great, free, brace that he was already wearing. And we don't even have to go back in for a recheck because the Dr. would just press on it and ask if it hurts, which I think I'm fully qualified to do myself. Since I'm Dr. Mom.

Home to laundry and then KT and I went out to A Classy Clutter to find a birthday present for her to give me. We found lots of stuff for her, and we found a new antique mall that we weren't aware of, and we spent hours wandering through it, but we didn't find anything affordable that I was dying to have. Don't you think it's terribly hard to pick out something for yourself when you know someone is ready to buy it? Harder than using a gift card which I also find challenging. However, we had a really good time there, and we didn't have any whiny little ones to mar experience, because you know how little ones HATE dragging through boring stores where they can't touch anything or buy anything for themselves!

We dropped off stuff at Goodwill; we left her car at CarMax to get a little problem fixed, and we went to Target to pick up a couple of things where we also got some pick-me-ups at Starbucks. There we finally found my present, and we came home. Exhausted.

Fortunately, at this point I was free to relax because KT insisted on making dinner. So, I did relax for the rest of the evening while they made fabulous fontina fondue using a new recipe from her Italian cookbook. After our yummy dinner and my cappuccino chocolate chunk cheesecake that LP and I had made Sunday afternoon, we watched a couple of episodes of I Love Lucy, which is what KT ended up getting me at Target. I didn't fold any laundry, and I didn't quilt because I was resting my hands, but that's another post.

So there you have it: practically every boring detail of my 45th birthday. It wasn't spectacular. I didn't get a massage or a manicure. I didn't have my every whim catered to all day long. But I did spend the day doing ordinary, necessary, and fun things with my family. I enjoyed every minute of it and I'm so grateful that God has given me each and every one of them. That's the best gift of all!


  1. So glad things went well! Happy Birthday! You should link the recipe for that cheesecake = Sounds YUMMY!

  2. great post!!

    Happy Birthday! glad that you enjoyed it.

  3. Happy Birthday to you lovely lady! :) Sounds like you had a lovely kind of day, something peaceful and wonderfully ordinary. Aren't those the best kind in the end, especially when our children "volunteer" something on our behalf. LOL And BTW I think I love Lucy shows are the BEST! Great fun is what I say. God Bless!

  4. Happy Happy Birthday! Sounds like you had a great day.

  5. Happy Birthday!!!! (a little late!) =)


Thanks for dropping by! I would love to hear from you. Have a beautiful day! :-)


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...