Wednesday, August 19, 2009

School Day 3

No, you have not missed a blow-by-blow description of Days 1 and 2.

Our first day of school was very nice and calm. That probably had something to do with the fact that we had no internet service (or telephone, but we didn't know that at the time), so I wasn't distracted by blogging or reading blogs in the morning.

The problem with no internet service is that I'm using an online schedule tracker, now, and we had to guess at our assignments that first day. That's no big deal though since they usually involve opening the books and doing the first lesson!

Yesterday we did have internet and it was moving very slowly, so it added a lot of frustration to my day. It takes forever to load and save the pages on the Homeschool Skedtrack. And heaven forbid you should forget to save a page. Worse yet is not saving a page for a long time and then your internet connection is lost, and you have to do all the work again.

Don't ask me how I know.

I'm thrilled to have found an alternative to The Homeschool Tracker, and there are even a couple of things (mind you, just a couple) I like better about it, but it has some issues. It's kind of cumbersome and it's still under development, but it will work. So, if you're using a mac, or simply don't have the $$ to invest in Homeschool Tracker, you might consider it.

~~~~~~

Two things we're working on this year are actually starting the day on time with the daily Gospel and a prayer for our work. That's one thing. I like starting the day in the right frame of mind, but I was never able to gather myself or the children at the same time before to do this. I know, it seems strange that I'm in my 15th year of homeschooling and I'm just now doing the daily readings with them! Homeschooling grows and changes each year as the family grows and changes.

The other thing we're trying to keep up with is PE. I've sporadically tried things over the years, but I'm determined this year. We're going to get outside after 2 hours of work and blow off steam for 30 minutes. It was a lot of fun yesterday as we played Hyper Dash. That's a great game for developing those fast-twitch muscle fibers! You have to sprint and change directions quickly and you have to think, too. They have one version of the game that's like Simon where they build up a pattern and you have to remember it as it gets longer and longer. And, let me tell you, you get tireder and tireder! It was hard to hear the machine tell me the pattern over the sound of my huffing and puffing.

I'm exhausted this morning. In fact, I was exhausted yesterday after playing, and I had to take a nap during lunch break!

Well, it's 15 minutes until school starts, so I'm signing off, so I can get it together by 8:00.

Happy Schooling, y'all!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing the link to Homeschool Skedtrack. I'm starting back at University in the Autumn and am thinking how I could make it work for me ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm enrolling my son in Homeschool PE this year at the rec center. We've never done that before, but I, too, am determined to get them moving. Peach does gymnastics.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by! I would love to hear from you. Have a beautiful day! :-)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...