Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Scuppernong FAIL

We joined a local CSA this fall. What's a CSA, you ask? Confederate States of America. Well, that, and Community Supported Agriculture. Every other week we get a bag o' goodies from the participating farmers. It's a new adventure every week because there are foods in there are we have never used before and we need to use them up somehow before they go bad.

One surprise was the joy of Scuppernongs, the lighter-skinned cousin of Muscadine grapes. They're big grapes with thick, bitter skins and seeds. Evidently, the best way to eat these is to bite a hole in the skin, pop the guts into your mouth and spit out the seeds. Very entertaining. And surprisingly, not the favorite activity of my children, even my little boys!

After saving them up for several weeks, I thought we might have enough for some jam. At least one jar of refrigerator jam. They have a wonderful flavor that I thought would be enhanced by homemade biscuits and butter.
Sadly, after all our cooking and straining, the "snot in the pot" as it was aptly named, did not jell, so we had a jelly-jar full of grape juice. Not to let it go to waste, we made Colonial beverages for our history lesson---Syllabub. Those were very rich and did not go over well, either.

Does anyone have any tips on what to do with my new batch of Scuppernongs????

Please?

3 comments:

  1. Hi Sara - Mine must have been sweeter because I've just been eating them raw. However, I can only eat a few at a time. Some of my kids will eat them but they are definitely not a favorite. The turnips were my disaster. I tried to make a casserole dish with them but it turned out nasty. I made some great pesto with the purple basil, though!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks seriously disgusting. :P
    Compost?? :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by! I would love to hear from you. Have a beautiful day! :-)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...