Friday, October 3, 2008

Month of Nothing Wrap-Up

I would have gotten this out a few days ago, but our brand-new modem blew up for some reason and we've been living without internet for the past few days. It's like the end-times here: no gas at the pumps and no internet. Just hunkered down in our cave doing things like reading, jumping rope, and playing with tangrams.



But AT&T miraculously came through again and overnighted a new modem to us AND there is gas again! Not everywhere, but the places that have gas don't have huge lines anymore. Maybe Atlantans have taken the hint and finally stopped driving, or maybe the shortage is just easing up slowly. So we can go on our field trip today to Mayfield Dairy and pick up KT who is coming to the homecoming football game tonight.

Anyway...A month of nothing wasn't soooo bad. And since we started late, it was only 21 days.

We managed to come in right on budget in the grocery area. That's not only another near-miracle, but a savings of $100 or more, since we normally go way over. It was not only a monetary savings, but a time savings as well since I stopped shopping all the time and we just did without when something ran out. The kids actually survived for a few days without milk! Most of the over-budget stuff is just from over-shopping and "stocking up". All the time. The kids open the fridge or the pantry now and say there is no food because they can see the shelves. Well, there was no food before, just more of it! Maybe I don't really need a giant sub-zero fridge.

At the end of September I made the decision to go with the cash/envelope system for groceries. It's too easy for little trips to the store to crop up and eat away at the funds. This month I budgeted $400 for Costco and divided up the rest of the funds evenly----only I subtracted $200 from the overall food budget. Yes, I'm looking to trim another $200 from the budget. It actually wasn't hard to stay under $150 per week as long as I planned my menus and kept track as I was shopping.

That $200 per month will come in handy since Hitch desperately wants to go to Rome with the senior class in May and he wasn't able to get a summer job to pay for it. So if we can save this money it will cover a good chunk of his trip, but he needs to get a seasonal job to cover the rest of it. Maybe we can shave some more out of the budget, but that probably won't be until after Christmas.

It was great to go into Target for the occasional necessity this month and get out for under $12! Like others, I kept thinking that I was just building up a huge list of stuff to purchase at the beginning of October. To some degree that's true. But I'm also thinking of ways to do things on a simpler level, do without, or just be more creative.

One of the kids pointed out that while the country is having a financial crisis, we're not, and we don't have to go without stuff forever. Well, the only reason we're not having as serious a financial crisis as the U.S. is because we've tried to be sensible all these years. Ever since KT was 3 months old and it came time to start paying back my student loans, we have kept a budget. Not just a budget, but actually writing down everything we spend. 19 years of keeping track. Not always staying in bounds, especially these past few years with private school and college costs, but staying out of debt. And, yes, we actually have retirement accounts! And we had enough sense not to buy more house than we could afford for no money down even though we have desperately wanted to be closer to The School and dh's office.

I'm learning to be more thankful for my blessings and let the other stuff go. When I see the devastation around me----friends who are struggling with diseases and terminal illnesses---I'm happy to just hunker down and enjoy my family. I'm happy if my biggest cross to bear is that we can't afford Disney World or another Wii game. We'll have to spend more $$$ than I care to this month on Cub Scouts and American Heritage Girls, but I'm looking forward to another month of (almost) nothing.

5 comments:

  1. Sara,

    Yet again you are an inspiration. I am just started to budget now. I hate it, but I have to do it. We too bought our house with saved money to put down on it. It was a really great deal. We, too,pay credit cards at the end of the month. We, too, have savings. But it's the household budget, which falls to me (and doesn't include bills for mortgage or utilities etc) to keep track of groceries, field trips, h/s expenses etc...that has me on the edge. I like your cash/envelope system. It was what my grandmother used. I am thinking it could keep me more honest.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are my hero! Keeping a budget is something I've always tried to do but came up short every time. The whole month of nothing was nothing but eye-popping. I still see tons of area's to improve and I think I'm going to try your cash method next.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe I can be your hero for keeping track all these years, ;-), that IS an accomplishment. But as I said, we haven't always stayed in bounds.

    And it's not "my" cash system or envelope system. I can see how it helps, but I haven't totally owned it yet. In fact, yesterday when I went to the store I paid with credit. Then I went to the ATM and got the cash for the amount I was under budget and put it in an envelope in my purse. So for the rest of the week, little things will be paid for with cash. Like when I go to Trader Joes for dishwasher detergent and coffee.

    I'm glad I inspire you both, because you both inspire me! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. O.K. Sara,
    I know your never busy, and your hands aren't hog-tied with everything you have on your plate but I tagged you with a photo quest. It's not hard because you've already taken the photo. You'll have to visit my blog to find out about it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. thanks for sharing your experience!

    Mary

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by! I would love to hear from you. Have a beautiful day! :-)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...