Saturday, October 18, 2008

More Hair Horrors

Kathleen made me laugh with her hair story. I don't have a scanner, thank goodness, so I can't post a picture of myself with my glasses and bad hair. But she did remind me of my worst haircut ever. This last one was just a bump in the road, but my first real attempt at style in 7th grade was the worst.

I remember my mom took us to the hairdresser's right next to the Giant in Leesburg, VA. My sister and I both got our hair done. Now, Sis has gorgeous red (well, back then it was RED, but now it has darkened to a beautiful auburn), naturally curly hair. Hair that does whatever you want it to. Hair that stays wherever you put it. Hair that the rest of us hate!

My hair was a boring shade of brown, silky, smooth, and straight. S-T-R-A-I-G-H-T.
"Straight as a stick," Mom always said. When I left the hairdresser that day, it was beautifully coiffed into feathers and curls and I was ecstatic. I had never been so gorgeous! Then came the next day.

I don't know what magic she had used on my head, but it was gone. Gone! I tell you! She had cut my hair into strange chunks, which I honestly don't think were legitimate hairstyling techniques. And without her product magic and magic styling wand, my hair just hung in those strange chunks. We curled my hair half to death, but the slightest touch would make those delicate curls invert and hang. Straight down. While Sis had those perfect sausage curls around her face.

I don't know how I survived the horrors of middle school. The worst years of my life. And the hair didn't help. I was soooo happy when feathers stopped being in style.

Now that I've matured, a little, I've learned to work with my hair's naturally tendency to be straight. I've given up fighting the battle for curls, although that's a lot easier now that there are so many products available. It drives my hairdresser nuts! I won't perm it anymore or even color it. I'm just waiting for the gray to come in so I can embrace it. I may get him to PUT some gray in if it doesn't hurry up, but not cover it up! lol! I'm not his favorite customer. Oldest, maybe. But not his favorite. He still charges me his old rate from when he worked at the Hair Cuttery. I won't get anything extra done, and I come in twice for the same haircut!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for dropping by! I would love to hear from you. Have a beautiful day! :-)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...