Thursday, September 24, 2009

I Love Betsy-Tacy!


I can't remember when KT and I started reading the Betsy-Tacy books by Maud Hart Lovelace, but we adore them. We've each read them several times and she read the first 4 to LP and Pipster this summer. They start when Betsy and Tacy meet at age 5 and end with Betsy's Wedding, the first year or so of her marriage. They graduate from high school in 1910, so that gives you an idea of the time period we're talking about. I've just finished re-reading the last 6 books: one for each year of high school and 2 post high-school tomes.

My favorite books of all of them are Betsy and Joe and Betsy and the Great World, her senior year, and the years after high school which include her year abroad. As a senior in high school Betsy finally starts to mature and take life a little more seriously, thinking about others more than herself. She still makes lots of mistakes and behaves very childishly at times, but she matures even more out in the Great World. Through it all, she is charming and friendly. Everyone wants to be her friend. She views everything in Europe with a childlike rapture and details all her adventures with a girlish exuberance which is very engaging. I'd love to go on a tour of all the same places she went!

On September 28, the last 6 books are being re-issued in 3 volumes. Bookclubgirl has given me a copy of the first volume: Heaven to Betsy and Betsy in Spite of Herself to give away to some poor soul who is unaware of the charms of Deep Valley, Minnesota. So far, only one person has expressed interest, but this is your last chance!

Leave a comment telling me why you should get this book and I'll randomly choose someone to give it to. I know I have more than 3 or 4 readers out there, so I hope I get more responses than that! If you all read them already, chime in and tell me that, too! Which one is your favorite?

I'm looking forward to hearing from all of you!

2 comments:

  1. What fun! I remember the Betsy books from years and years ago. My incredible daughter in law is from Minnesota, number 8 of 11 children. She's expecting child #2 and I'd give her this book to remind her of her home; she and our son and grandson live in Southern California. She has a degree in English Lit from St Thomas More, and loves to read. But really, I'm just glad to be reminded of the books. I pray you'll find a great recipient! Lovely blog! J in Louisiana.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never read Betsy-Tacy but I imagine Peach and I would enjoy them together. Are you reading with your Princess?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by! I would love to hear from you. Have a beautiful day! :-)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...