Thursday, September 3, 2009

Carrot Cake

We pulled up all of our carrots today from our community garden plot. Saturday is a big workday where we clear out the summer crops and plant the cool-weather crops. We pulled all the carrots and tossed the tiny ones; donated half of the big ones; and took home the rest.

Ack! Blurry picture. The carrots are supposed to be short and stubby. They're a short and stubby variety whose name I don't know.

While I spend a ridiculous amount of time scrubbing those ridiculously dirty carrots (I swear, you'd think they came from the ground or something!), and grating them in the Cuisinart,



My little Princess actually did all the recipe reading and measuring herself!





Take note of the yummy farm fresh eggs, too.


Let the decorating commence!
She and Pipster worked out a design on paper. I was resting on the couch from my labors.


Voila!

Ack! Another blurry picture! But the cake was rich and moist while the frosting was too sickly sweet for me. In an effort to make it "not too cream cheesey", I put in too much sugar. No one else seemed to mind.

Oh, and lest you put me on a pedestal and idolize me, let me just tell you what a raving lunatic I turn into when I eat something like this! Like the cookie monster, only crankier. And not as cute.

3 comments:

  1. you're not as cute as cookie monster?

    oh man, and here I thought you were positively Elmo-esk.

    damn, all my idolizing dreams are shattered.


    I've never heard of one of these coop gardens before...out here in the country if you want a garden you just dig up part of your yard.

    cake looks good....now I'm hungry!

    question though...why scrubb carrots when you're gonna peel em anyway??

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh and I'm trying to get used to the new look around here....

    ReplyDelete
  3. It never occurred to me to peel the carrots! I stopped peeling carrots a while back, and I wouldn't have wanted to peel those short things!

    The new look may not remain. I changed it and want to change it again, but the kids started fighting and I don't know when I'll get around to it now.

    The Community Garden is a place where we can rent a little 4x10 bed since most of us have too many trees and too much shade here in the suburbs.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by! I would love to hear from you. Have a beautiful day! :-)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...