Friday, April 2, 2010

Good Friday


I grew up with a mother who was a very faithful Christian (God rest her soul).  We went to church regularly: twice on Sundays, Wednesday nights, and Vacation Bible School every summer.  Skipping church was never an option, except maybe on vacation.

Nevertheless, I grew up with absolutely No Idea what Palm Sunday, Maundy Thursday, and Good Friday were all about.  I saw them on the calendar year in and year out, but I never knew that they had any connection to Easter.  It just wasn't talked about in any way, shape, or form that I can recall.

There was no arc to the year.  Just the same routine, week after week, with the year punctuated by Christmas and Easter---which, of course, only lasted one too-brief day.

So, on this Good Friday, I am thrilled to be a part of this beautiful Catholic faith which Christ founded.  I am grateful for the institution of the priesthood and the Eucharist which He established on Holy Thursday at the Last Supper.  I love to hear the readings all through Lent which lead up to this time culminating with His resurrection at the Great Easter Vigil.  And then we get to celebrate Easter for a full 50 days before we return to Ordinary Time.  Of course, it all starts again with the other penitential season that is Advent.

I am so grateful to be a part of this Church that is part of my life every day with something different to celebrate.  Every day we may take part in the sacrifice of the Mass in which His eternal sacrifice is re-presented.  He died for all of us.  He died so that we might live.  He died for all those who love Him, for all those who despise Him, for saints and for sinners.

It is a Good Friday.

Soul of Christ, sanctify me,
Body of Christ, save me,
Blood of Christ, inebriate me,
Water from the side of Christ, wash me
O Good Jesus, hear,
Within thy wounds hide me,
Never permit me be separated from thee,
From the evil enemy defend me,
In the hour of my death,
Call me and bid me come to thee,
That with thy angels and saints I may praise thee,
forever and ever.  Amen.

(inspired by Barbara to post this, my favorite post-Communion prayer)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for dropping by! I would love to hear from you. Have a beautiful day! :-)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...