Tuesday, November 24, 2009

American Heritage Girls Go Camping!



 A few of our girls

Little Princess and I had a beautiful camping trip with the American Heritage Girls this weekend!  One of the most beautiful aspects of the trip was that the campground was not too far away---only an hour out in Friday afternoon traffic and 45 minutes home.

She was a trooper and hung around to help me pitch the tent while her friends were running around playing.  I'm glad we got there while the sun was shining and we were able to do it in the daylight.  Setting up camp after dark is no fun.  Been there; done that.


It was COLD Friday, but we stayed warm, prepared as we were with hats, gloves, and coats.  We also brought a little ceramic heater to warm the inside of the tent before bed.  I'm pretty sure you couldn't safely leave it on all night, and we didn't.  A little warm-up before we crashed was enough---we were actually too hot.  I was careful to keep all body parts under the top sleeping bag (there were several!) lest they freeze, and I had to monitor LP to keep her covered as she tends to roll all over the place.  But we stayed warm and awoke to a gorgeous Saturday!





After a nice warm breakfast, cleanup, and so forth, we packed up to go for a little 3.5 mile hike.  I can't think of the last time I went on a hike this time of year.  As there were no leaves on the trees, we were able to enjoy the sunlight the whole time.  It was a peaceful, glorious walk with friends through the majesty of God's creation. 




I could have walked through those woods all day long!  But we had crafts to do!  The girls had collected pinecones and things to make wreaths out of, so we went back to camp for that activity.




The weather forecast was for rain overnight and Sunday, so I decided that the prudent thing to do was to decamp since we're both still recovering from pneumonia and near-pneumonia.  I simply could not wrap my mind around waking up cold and wet and having to pack up the sleeping bags and strike the tent by myself, all while listening to a wet, whiny, and cold 7 year-old!  I know we both would have been miserable and more sick, so even thought she wasn't happy about it, we (I) did break camp.  We stayed, however, for dinner, s'mores, and songs around the campfire until the fire was almost gone and everyone was about ready for bed.



I felt so vindicated in my decision when I woke up Sunday morning, toasty under my down comforter, and heard the steady downpour of rain!

After Mass and a quick lunch I had to go to a CPR certification class which took all day.  It was a busy weekend for me, but a very good one!




One of the nicest things about the camping trip was that our group took the time to pray together.  Since AHG is a Christ-centered scouting organization, it was not awkward at all.  In fact, it was lovely to pray with our sisters in Christ before meals and before everyone departed to their tents or homes Saturday night.

2 comments:

  1. what great pics of you two!!

    glad you had a fabulous time!! and don't it feel good when you make a move and later find out you were RIGHT ON!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like a BEAUTIFUL place Sara! So glad you had a wonderful albeit, cold and busy, wknd w/your girl!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by! I would love to hear from you. Have a beautiful day! :-)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...