Tuesday, August 5, 2008

A Cloud of Witnesses

Mornings are not my favorite time of day, to say the least. Just ask the sweet man who asks me if I want to go walking with him in the mornings! At 4:45 a.m. when he wakes me up, my back hurts and I'm not excited to start the day, but I know I'll feel better if I go with him. The cool morning breeze (which was totally absent today!) and his gentle encouragement, get my day off to a much better start than if I just rolled out of bed at some later time to say good-bye and get a cup of coffee. The big bonus is that I get to spend time with my hubby at his best time of day without distractions. I love the time with him, so I get up, even though I'd rather just grumble!


This morning was one of the worst mornings in a long time. It was sooo hard, physically and emotionally. All my hope seems to be gone, so I thought I would post something that does make me happy....because this is where all my hope lies---in the Communion of Saints and our Savior.

These are pictures of our Wee Felt Saints that we made last year during school. We did it on "Friday Fundays" following Elizabeth's Alphabet Path. We read the Mrs. Applebee story and made a saint for the letter of the day. We didn't always (or even usually) use the same saint as in the story because we didn't have a book on them, or we just wanted to use one of our family saints. But here they are. Can you name them?Archangel (pick one!), St. Brendan, St. Clare, King David, Edmund Campion (note the noose), St. Francis de Sales
St. George, Jesus (the I saint---Iesus), St. Joseph (note the tools!), St. Kateri, St. Lucy, St. Martin de Porres
Again, Kateri, Lucy, Martin, and, finally, St. Nicholas! We made him out of order last year on St. Nicholas Day.

We had so much fun with them this past year! The kids had a blast adding creative touches like the tools, or St. George's shield and helmet. We're really looking forward to finishing the alphabet as the stories continue. I love these little people so much; they give me a little boost whenever I see them. They are friends on many different levels: because we made them (the play versions, obviously), because some of them are my family's patrons, because they are our guides and helpers on our journey to heaven.

BTW, if you looked at the Wee Felt Saints instructions, don't be alarmed by the sewing of tiny tunics! We didn't sew a stitch. Everything is cut, tied or glued on with Tacky glue! We bought everything at Michael's ----colored sheets of felt, pipe cleaners, twine, and little wooden "game pieces" (male and female).

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting these. My kindergartener was next to me as I was reading this and wants to make these! I should also get out my gnomes from last year. He had a blast with those as well. Will I need assistance at the craft store again? :-)

    Have a great day!
    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow!! They all turned out so cute Sara!

    I was thinking that it would have been fun to make the Saints as a craft with the girls, but they are so little that I probably would have ended up doing them myself. We still might attempt making a felt saint anyways.. We'll see.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I came here through Jessica's blog! Your Saints look great too!!!

    I'm going to have to get some of those wood things....

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by! I would love to hear from you. Have a beautiful day! :-)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...