Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Twinkie Lamentations

Photo Credit

"And the prophet said, cast ye your countenance toward the Walmart, and follow thy heart to the junk food aisle, for there the snack cakes are distributed in a manner wonderful to see. For the munchies are upon you, and the hunger is deep. Look with wonder upon the gifts you have been given. Of the puffed cheese and popped corn, you may eat, but not the HoHo. Of the jerky and Nutella and Doritos you may have your fill, but not the Twinkie. Of the potato chip, plain or barbecue, ranch or sugar coated, you may eat, but not the Donette. Of the oil based snack of dubious origin you may eat, but not the Ding Dong. Though your craving be deep, think not of the little chocolate cupcake with the white squiggle thereupon. For the punishment is upon us and Hostess is no more. And the people wept."
Lamentations 8:11-20

Did y'all see this?  I thought it was hysterical, so I had to post it.

My Disney-watching kids, Meg and Pippo, have been begging me for ages to buy "fat cakes" which are really pink snowballs---I'm not sure what their real name is---but they call them fat cakes on the Disney channel.  Good mother that I am, I bought HoHos and Ding Dongs and Snowballs for them since they have been deprived all their lives.   We They ate them for breakfast at the rest stop on our trip to Virginia.

We did not have any Twinkies since Target was sold out when I looked, and I remember them fondly, but no one enjoyed their breakfast that day.  It kind of surprised me that my sweets-loving family did not like them, but no one seems to be sorry that Hostess is out of business now.  We regret it from an economic standpoint, not a dietary one. 

Tell me, did you go out and buy Twinkies and stuff for the last time? 


3 comments:

  1. I did not make a special trip to the store and by the time I grocery shopped, they were gone. (I wondered if people bought them to save them, because contrary to popular myth they do actually have a rather short shelf life.)

    I am sad that such an old company went down to unions. Unions today are the playground bully. And I hope Hostess was the punch in the mouth they needed. Probably not though. The employees and their families will suffer. Those are uneducated people for the most part, working in bakeries and driving delivery trucks. Where will they work now, get medical insurance now? How's that union working for them now? Worked them right out of a job. Sigh. (Sorry to rant.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. No need to apologize for the rant---I feel exactly the same way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Twinkies are too sweet. They make my mouth hurt, they are so sweet.

    Now the chocolate cupcakes, I will miss. I saw a recipe the other day in the Wall Street Journal and I WILL be making them, if only for nostalgia's sake.

    I'm with you both on the union thing. So many people out of work for no good reason because of this!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by! I would love to hear from you. Have a beautiful day! :-)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...