Friday, March 12, 2010

7 Quick Takes


1.

I had another episode of insomnia last night.  I don't know if it's true insomnia, or not, as I always go to sleep easily, but awaken suddenly, hot and sweaty with my heart racing.   Often, there is a nagging worry associated with it, too.  I don't know if it's what I eat (when I'm on strict low-carb, I have NO sleeping difficulties at all), or if it's a hot flash (Heaven forbid!).  What do you think?

Anyway, last night, I realized that I wouldn't be able to go back to sleep as long as I was hot and my heart was racing; it would take a while to calm down, so I could use the time wisely and come down to the computer to check on that nagging worry.  So, I came down to find out that I still have time to sign the kids up for Swim Team.  We didn't miss the deadline.  whew!

I got a head start on my blog-reading (lol) and then went back upstairs with my Magnificat and ipod (for a flashlight), so I could read for a while.  I didn't read because I was sleepy, so I tried to sleep, and couldn't, because, get this:  I was too cold.

It took a while to warm up, but I think I was awake for only an hour instead of the usual 2.  

2.


It looks like I'm going to be going to the American Heritage Girls annual convention in July!  It looks like it will be a lot of fun, especially since my new co-leader is going to go with me.  We're going to have a blast learn a lot about running our troop better.

3.

I've been working on getting my two youngest children to read more in and out of school.  They're not the readers that most of the rest of us are.  I'm wondering if that's because we got too busy to read aloud to them as much as the others.  That makes me sad.

Pipster has been doing a little book club this year with a couple of boys his age.  He has enjoyed the books they've read and discussed.  They take turns picking them.  Right now, they're on The Great Brain.  I've never read it, but he keeps telling us of these gruesome episodes, so I wonder if the book and the nightmares are related.  To take his mind off it, I read Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle to him and the Little Princess last night.   It was so entertaining that I'll have to continue.

In preparation for our camping trip last weekend, we got a book-on-cd for the drive.  There wasn't much that we were interested in except Inkheart.  We're still listening, and the bit he has heard inspired TMax to pick up his copy off the shelf and finally start reading it.  I'm really enjoying it; it makes me want to read lots and lots of books aloud!

In case you're wondering, No, we haven't seen the movie, and I don't think we will until we read all 3 books, in case it's one of those movies that combines all the stories into one.

4.

KT and Hitch have been home since Saturday for their Spring Break.  It's nice to have them around a bit.  We don't see a lot of them because they still sleep late, and occasionally go out to see their friends, but their presence is noticed and welcomed.  I'm even happy to have extra laundry to do----it reminds me that they're home!

Lots of conversations with KT revolve around what she's going to do with her life as she has only one more year of college!  Shocking!  When did we get that old????

5.

What Quick Takes would be complete without a knitting update?  

Not much is on the needles these days.  Just a mindless 2x2 ribbed hat; something I can work on in the evenings, during school, while chatting for hours at the Friday Fish Dinners at church.  

And I'm thinking winter will be over before I'm done with it.

6.

You know, we went on that frigid camping trip where the nights were down in the 20's and the days were in the 60's?  It seems like we've only had a few days of warmer weather and the red bud trees are already getting their buds.  There is color out there!!!   Lots of trees are putting out buds!   I'm so excited to see some relief from the endless, dreary, winter brown.  Brown grass and leafless trees have their own stark beauty, but it is even lovelier when we begin to see hints of spring.

7.

I'm not making much progress on my 40 Bags in 40 Days.  I'm just not very motivated.  After going to the basement to use my sewing machine yesterday, I am much more motivated to declutter the basement TODAY.  Lets see how many bags of trash and giveaways we can accumulate from down there.  It's a mess.

~~~~~

I hope your weekend is Clutter-Free!





3 comments:

  1. I've never experienced them, but it sounds like hot flashes (I think they are different at night than during the day). Maybe you can keep track and see if you notice a cycle. If it's any consolation, I was up too -- coughing. Ugh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know how you feel with the sleep issues. I sometimes have those panic sleeps, but I also have night terrors....which are soooo much worse.

    ReplyDelete
  3. girlfriend...that's a hot flash. plain and simple! go talk to your MD about it.

    I can't wait till mine are old enough for chapter books. Dr Suess, while wonderful, does get old after the 4,329,577,236,462nd time!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by! I would love to hear from you. Have a beautiful day! :-)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...