Friday, October 23, 2009

7 Quick Takes Friday



~~~1~~~

Alton Brown, we love you, but sometimes we love me better!   The kids were dying for pancakes the other day and wanted to use Alton's "instant pancake mix", but we didn't have buttermilk, or regular milk to make sour milk with, so I suggested the substitution of yogurt.  Ugh, grossss!  was the response.

Typical mom that I am, I reckelessly charged ahead adding 2 cups of vanilla yogurt and the appropriate number of eggs.   Of course, they tried to stop me from adding the eggs whole since they were supposed to be separated and the whites whipped, blah, blah, blah.

Would you believe those pancakes were lighter and fluffier than Alton's?  And they tasted like cake!  The kids raved about them.

Thank you.


~~~2~~~
I know I need to take a picture of these wonderful socks I'm knitting, but I haven't gotten around to it.

 I'll just say this:  men have bigger feet and their socks take a lot longer to knit.

~~~3~~~
This past week I've been enjoying another of Melissa Wiley's recommendations:  The Evolution of Calpurnia Tate.  It wasn't all I expected it to be because she didn't evolve as much as I expected, but it was a very enjoyable read.  I loved the blossoming of the relationship between Callie and her aloof, strange, and somewhat scary grandfather.  Their outdoor rambles coupled with their studies of botany make me want to get outside with my kids and explore.   I also want to read Darwin's Origin of the Species.


~~~4~~~
I've discovered a new subculture of decorating blogs.  It's kind of scary.  I'm trying not to get hooked on them since I have neither the money nor the time to constantly change my house, nor do I want to fall into the sins of jealousy and envy, but I do have a couple of new projects in mind....if I get around to any of them, I'll let you know!

I'll tell you this much----if you stand still too long, you might get painted!

~~~5~~~
It's Fall Festival time again.  TMax has his recital tomorrow.  For your listening pleasure, here is one of his pieces:


j/k

Since Blogger changed their formats, I can't figure out how to add the video.  I'll have to try again another day.

grrrrrr.

~~~6~~~
Football game in the rain tonight.  Last Friday was freezing cold.  Tonight should be warm and rainy.  If you don't like the weather here, just wait 10 minutes.

~~~7~~~
I'm going to pick up a side of beef tomorrow!  I'm so excited!  We've had hardly any beef lately since we're down to the end of our last order.  Now we have a couple of roasts left that I'll have to be sure to use first.

I'm not even thinking about the liver, heart, and kidneys.  Anyone want those?  I'm thinking I won't take those with me when I pick up the rest tomorrow.  They can keep them.


~~~~~
Visit Jen's for more Quick Takes!




2 comments:

  1. yeah, we have a couple roasts left from our side last summer...
    but now, we don't have enough ??? to shell out :( I hope this economy gets going!

    i have ribs too, but if you rmbr my "i'm never making beef ribs again for the rest of my life" post you'll know that they may take up permanent residence in my freezer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll take the liver heart and kidneys!! True homeschooler that I am, we need them for a science project.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by! I would love to hear from you. Have a beautiful day! :-)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...