Sunday, February 19, 2012

Sunday Book Club

I just got back from my monthly book club where the book under discussion was The Touch, a story about a skilled surgeon who stops operating when someone dies under his knife.


I think that during the 3 hours we were there, we spent maybe 15 minutes talking about the book which was an enjoyable read, though we all felt it wasn't "deep" enough considering the subject matter.  We didn't feel connected to the characters.  Someone described it as being on onlooker to the action which is very interesting considering the writer is a writer of screenplays.  He also wrote Braveheart. 



Our book club is always a lot of fun.  We covered a great many topics today----

the 2nd reading at Mass today
pediatricians & prenatal care
a couple of Diana Gabaldon's books
painting houses
gardening
the HHS mandate and birth control
conversions (mine)
eating wheat-free
food issues and picky eaters
people who can't smell
marriages and convalidations
adoptions from China
genealogy

---I'm sure I'm forgetting some!  And several of those topics went on for quite a while; I couldn't even begin to tell you what happened in the side conversations I wasn't privy to!  

Our next book, which was also one of the topics (because some people have already started reading it!), is 
The Snow Child: A Novel.  Have you read it?  Was it good?



Whether the book is good or not, I'll be looking forward to book club next month anyway because of the wonderful time spent with my friends!

2 comments:

  1. I heard the author of The Touch on Catholic radio and reserved the book from the library. But when it became available I waited too long to get it. I guess I'm glad for that.

    I haven't been in a book club for a while but yours sounds interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here's Barbara's (Praying for Grace) comment that got lost in cyberspace:


    "I heard the author of The Touch on Catholic radio and reserved the book from the library. But when it became available I waited too long to get it. I guess I'm glad for that.

    I haven't been in a book club for a while but yours sounds interesting."

    Me again: The book wasn't bad, it just didn't have the depth we expected, but we all enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by! I would love to hear from you. Have a beautiful day! :-)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...