Monday, February 27, 2012

Lenten Daybook

FOR TODAY

Outside my window...
It's cloudy and moist.  It's a perfect Lenten day.

I am thinking...
About how God takes your Lenten sacrifices and intensifies them (if you were on the right track to begin with) or just changes it up altogether.  Which one has happened to you this week?

I am thankful...
I am always thankful for the seasons that the Church in Her wisdom gives us, expecially Lent which offers this intense, prayerful retreat before Easter.

From the learning rooms...
We've added Ablaze: Stories of Daring Teen Saints to our daily reading.  The stories are hard to read in one sitting because they're long, but we're enjoying it so far!

I am wearing...
Old jeans and a cozy sweatshirt which are perfect for a drizzly day.  No earrings and less makeup as I seem to have given them up for Lent.  I attach a lot of importance to the right earrings for the day and the outfit.  It's a little thing, but it means a lot to me to give them up.  I'm also wearing less makeup (no foundation).  I figure if I go entirely without people will ask why I look sick or tired, which is a conversation I don't want to have, so I'm just wearing less.  Not that I usually wear a lot anyway.

I am knitting...
I started a little sock yarn shawl, but haven't worked on it much yet.  I finished the bulk of my homeless sleeping mat yesterday and I just need to add shoulder straps to them and I'm ready to give them away!

I am going...
Nowhere today except to pick up late this afternoon after school

I am reading...
I have a pile of books to read.  A couple of new ones that were recommended by ladies at the church yard sale this weekend, but I can't read those until I read the 2 scheduled for book club.  Somehow it seems as if I should have given up book club for Lent and should be focusing on more spiritual works.  Thoughts?

I am looking forward to...
My conversion story is going to be published tomorrow over at Caffeinated Catholic Mama. Stop by if you want to read it.  Naturally, after turning it over to her, I had all kinds of doubts about how it sounded!  It needed to be kept short, so it's naturally a little incomplete. If you're interested, I'll publish a longer version in several parts here, later.

I am hearing on my ipod...
Lots of Jimmy Akin these days.  The Among Women podcast. This local parish has 3 excellent homilies every week by their priests.

Around the house...
Several painting projects waiting to be done; waiting for me to have the time and the inclination.  We got rid of about 8 bags of trash and clothes last week by cleaning out the rooms of just 2 kids.  We donated the good stuff to the annual church yard sale for St. Martin de Porres.  I don't think I came home with as much as I donated....I had to really hold myself back.

One of my favorite things...
Children who awaken feeling industrious and get their independent work done quickly in the morning.  Not that it happened this morning, but I love it when it does!  :-)  I read to them for 45 minutes this morning and my voice is tired, so now I hear them taking turns reading Famous Men of Rome to each other.  Cheerfully, no less.

A few plans for the rest of the week...
I think I'll be singing at a funeral with the choir tomorrow, and it may be the last time I sing with them.  :-(

Here is picture for thought I am sharing...
Working on a sleeping mat



Hosted by The Simple Woman's Daybook

1 comment:

  1. I love the less make-up/accessories idea for Lent. I actually included this fast idea in a blog post about vanity and humility a few days ago...http://www.peacelovereligion.blogspot.com/2012/02/mirror-mirror-on-wall.html

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by! I would love to hear from you. Have a beautiful day! :-)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...