Friday, July 5, 2013

Looong Weekend Takes


---1---

The Pioneer Woman's Strawberry ice cream recipe is amazing.  I'm not sure if the eggs curdled a little in my custard, or if I took it off the heat before it quite jelled.  Either way, the taste and texture were unaffected.   I put in extra strawberries, too.  Because they were there.  Oh!  And I used milk for the half-and-half, and half-and-half for the cream.  Because that's what I had.  If I had had 6 cups of heavy cream, I would have used that.  :-)

---2---

I need to use my ice cream maker more often.  Because there's this.  Do you have any good ice cream recipes?  I try to stay away from anything chunky because it always seems to seize up in the ice cream maker.

---3---

While we're talking about food...I threw together the Independence Day feast based on what we had in the house.  The only thing I planned for in advance was the ice cream.  Because priorities.  We had the traditional burgers, roasted redskin potatoes, and cabbage.  Let me tell you, I think there are LOT of people missing out on the wonder of organic, locally grown cabbage cooked in bacon fat, with lots of crumbled bacon!  Seriously, it's one of the most wonderful things ever.  Try it.

---4---

Did you know that you can send documents to your Kindle?  I had no idea.  But I just sent Pope Francis's first encyclical to myself to read on kindle.  If you go to Brandon Vogt's blog, you can see all the ways to read Lumen Fidei.   Or not, because the USCCB told him to remove them.

---5---

My Quick Takes were interrupted by serious household chores, and now it's 10:30 p.m.!  I really like that 1:2 Dawn to Peroxide for cleaning my shower.

---6---

I've had just about enough rain.  It rained all winter, and now, it's raining pretty much all summer.  I try to be grateful, whatever the weather, but it does get to be a bit much!  I could use a week at the beach.  How's the weather where you are?

---7---

We just got back from our weekly trivia game at a local Sbux.  We had to borrow chairs from a kind stranger because it was packed and all the chairs were taken.  We, ahem, stupidly did not bring our chairs.  We had to sit outside where it proceeded to alternately pour and drizzle.  Everyone else managed to squeeze inside, but we moved too slowly for that.  It was quite pleasant outside when it wasn't raining heavily accompanied by blowing winds.  :-)  And we dropped from first place to next-to-last on the final question, and came home with our wet, bedraggled tails between our legs.  But we enjoyed it, and that's what matters.  Right?  Right?  

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Have a great weekend!  
Join the fun at Jen's for more 7 Quick Takes!

1 comment:

  1. I have quite a few ice cream recipes on my food blog if you're eating sugar. My favorite is:
    http://blessusolord.blogspot.com/2010/08/gelato-di-fragola.html?m=1
    And Doug's is:
    http://blessusolord.blogspot.com/2011/06/chocolateyso-very-chocolateygelato.html?m=1

    It's rainy here, too. It was nice last evening but it's been raining on and off since the evening of the third.

    I use Dawn/vinegar in my shower. I'll have to try peroxide.

    Have a happy weekend. We are finishing our enthronement of the Sacred Heart today!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by! I would love to hear from you. Have a beautiful day! :-)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...