Friday, May 11, 2012

Quick Takes

---1---
I feel as if I've been on the computer for hours and I'm letting my kids oversleep by hours! The first is absolutely true since I've been awake since 4 a.m., and at the computer reading, watching, and knitting since 4:30!  But it's still only 7:30 and I don't have to get the kids up quite yet.

---2---
I said the other day that I was looking forward to Saturday so I could relax.  I forgot that I have a long meeting Saturday morning and then a piano recital later in the day.  Somewhere in there we have to clean, grocery shop, and cook.  I'm sure there's other stuff that I'm forgetting about, but instead of the logical step of trying to remember it, I'll try to forget the zillions of things to be done and places to be between now and Mother's day.  ;-)

---3---
Somone...ahem...remarked on my not smiling last night.  Not Smiling is a bad habit of mine.  It's not necessarily because I'm in a bad mood; I'm probably just thinking about the next thing to be done on my list.  Part 1 of this post on Sharing Your Faith with Joy  struck a chord with me, but I think it's probably much easier for someone who is much more outgoing than myself.   Despite the fact that I've done a fair amount of public speaking (talking about sex and NFP, no less) in the past decade, and do crazy things like cantor at my parish, and lead our American Heritage Girls troop,  I've really no desire to attract attention to myself.  How socially awkward/backward is that?

---4---
Our homeschool group had an interesting email discussion going on last week about general health and what to eat or not eat.  One part of it that I found timely was about sleeping (see #1).  I've known for years that sleeping in a pitch dark room is important for a woman's cycle (see #3), and ours is pretty dark, but lately when I've been awake in the middle of the night, I've notices a few places where dim lights are sneaking in!  Also related to sleeping is the effect that computers and such have on our sleep habits, and that evening usage is likely to prevent our going to sleep easily (something I have noticed).  At the recommendation of a friend, I downloaded the f.lux app for my iMac which mimics the lighting the computer is in after the sun goes down.  It gives the computer a sunset-type glow by eliminating the blue back-light that makes our brains think it's daytime.   Loving it so far.  I have to read up on jailbreaking my iphone so I can add it to that.

---5---
Getting Better Sleep is part of an ongoing effort to simplify and improve the quality of our lives.  Good sleep is part of that.  So is just generally staying away from the screens in the evening which I would like to do more of.  Or is it 'less of'?  :-)  (See?  I'm smiling!)

---6---
Yesterday was a perfect Georgia day!  Today looks promising, too.  It was sunny, 75, and no humidity with a light breeze blowing---the kind of day that makes you revel in the beauty of God's creation and makes you happy to be alive.  I'm so thankful to have this monster of a dog sweet puppy that makes me get outside and walk every day now! 

---7---
And now, it's really time to wake the kids and start the day in earnest.  Lots of places to go today; I'll have to enjoy the weather between car trips.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Join the fun at Jen's for more 7 Quick Takes!

1 comment:

  1. I am equally "socially backward/awkward" just as you describe. And I've been up since 3:30 for no good reason other than the stupid hot flashes...

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by! I would love to hear from you. Have a beautiful day! :-)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...