Wednesday, May 5, 2010

TMax Makes Chips

A large pan of Mexican lasagne and a lot of leftover corn tortillas led to a strong desire for nachos among the young'uns the other day.


Chips are something I almost never buy.  The cost is astronomical for what you get in terms of quantity, quality, and the plain old lack of anything worthwhile.  And the trans fats?  Do we even need to go there?


In the interest of satisfying a little "salt-tooth" and using up what we had, I encouraged TMax to make his own chips.  


The person who wanted the chips to begin with turned up his nose for a while, until these started disappearing very quickly!


I've heard it said that if you want to eat something "bad" you should make it yourself.  In this case, far fewer chips were eaten than if I had bought a big bag of them.  When we make donuts, we eat more than if we bought them, although they don't have questionable ingredients.


Now, these appeared to be a bit greasy (we used EVOO), and they were, but I'm of the belief that fat is not only not bad for us, but actually good for us.

~~~~
If you want to read more about Real Food, stop by Kelly's.

4 comments:

  1. I make mine in the oven -- just spray them with a little olive oil spray and bake for about ten minutes at 425. They are awesome! I bet the fried ones were a real treat. I keep a big bag of corn tortillas in the fridge at all times. They are super cheap to buy in bulk (and, yes! have few ingredients).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I make these all the time in the oven with no oil at all! just bake till crisp...I figure if I am going to load them up with cheese and use dips, I can pass on the oil. My fave snack!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was going to say what Barbara said! They are so much better and tastier and filling than what comes in the bag at the store. I tend to use the money I save on the chips to buy the good salsa, from the deli section, the one that has a sell by date in this century ;). ,

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooooo gonna have to tell hubby this!!!!!

    We love his homemade donuts

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by! I would love to hear from you. Have a beautiful day! :-)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...