Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Lenten Daybook

FOR TODAY

Outside my window...
Cool and clear.  The sun is rising on what promises to be another gorgeous spring day.  The days have been simply fabulous from my perspective as I'm not an allergy-sufferer, but I know it's pretty horrendous for others when my eyes start to itch!

I am thinking...
About The Hunger Games...re-reading it and seeing the movie again.  Karen Edmiston has a great (spoilerish) post up about the books today.  It's very deep stuff, not just an excuse for violence as so many books and movies can be.

I am thankful...
That I made my Consecration to the Blessed Virgin on Sunday.  I planned all along to make it on Sunday, the 25th, the traditional date of the Annunciation, but then I started hearing that the Annunciation was on Monday because it couldn't be on a Sunday in Lent.  I saw conflicting reports over the weekend, finally deciding it was actually supposed to be Monday, but I still made the consecration on Sunday.  I'm glad I did.  I was alone in the house and had some time to myself.

I'm also thankful it's still Lent.  There's always room for improvement and I have a couple more weeks to buckle down and learn to really sacrifice myself.

From the learning rooms kitchen table...
We're happily finishing up some books and filling in the gaps with other things.  Meg has finished science for the year, so we're working on science-related American Heritage Girl badges, something we don't have enough time for usually.

In the kitchen...
I need to go to the store, but I'm tired of eating after 2 big dinners in a row.  I'd like to move to more Lenten meals.

I am wearing...
Workout clothes, but it doesn't look as if I'll be working out this morning, after all.  I forgot that my Vibram 5-fingers are in the laundry!  And I decided to blog a bit, so I'll just do some weights later in the day, in addition to the usual mile or two with the dog.

I am knitting...
Not a single thing.  I'm starting to feel withdrawals, but I can't decide what I want to do.   Maybe it's time for some simple dishcloths while the kids do their schoolwork.

I am going...
To pick up Tom right after school today!  His spring musical is over and we're all done with after school activities for the year!!!!  Happy.

I am reading...
Style, Sex, and Substance.  I don't know what I expected, but I didn't expect this.  I. love. this. book.  It's such a great collection of essays from very normal Catholic women who tell authentic stories about being an authentic Catholic woman without being preachy or too saintly.  It's very readable and it's for every Catholic woman no matter what her state in life.

I am hoping...
To get my library finished today.  Or this week.  ;-)  I made some progress on the clutter in the living room yesterday, so now I can concentrate on the clutter in the hallway.  I'm still trying to find a decorative file box for our files that need to stay down here.

I am looking forward to...
Spring Break.  Next week.  Not going anywhere, but not going back and forth to school is a huge vacation.


I am hearing on my ipod...
Lots and lots of Jimmy Akin podcasts, because once I discover a podcast I like, I have to listen to all the old episodes.  Thankfully, he only started podcasting about a year ago.  I almost never listen to music on my ipod/iphone.

Around the house...
Library clutter and laundry.

One of my favorite things...
Having a half-dozen kids in my yard with my kids, watching them run around enjoying the outdoors.  Even if they are busy making a Hunger Games movie.  Even if they are venturing into the woods where the coyotes live.

A few plans for the rest of the week...
Choir, AHG, piano.

Hosted by The Simple Woman's Daybook

6 comments:

  1. Yeah for you. I am so glad you finished your Consecration. Now old hairy legs can just ...well...stick it. I have a little gift in the works. Just be surprised, ok?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved reading your blog...and it is nice to meet another homeschooling mom!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoy having the kid act out whatever they are interested in. I think that is such anadvantage to having a larger family and homeschooling. Free time is imagination time. My younger ones are currently trying to be the Kratt brothers and discover and share knowledge about animal life. I love it! and sometimes formal education has to take the back burner for those types of learning moments.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cindy and Neen, thanks for stopping by! I love the Kratt brothers---we haven't seen them in such a long time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My daughter has read the book and I want to. I want to see the movie also. I'm a new follower. Have a good week. Doylene

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sara, thanks for the kind words about Hallie's book!

    Have you been back to see Hunger Games a second time? I'm still letting the first viewing soak in. I reread the first book before the movie came out, and now want to reread the other two.

    Your Consecration -- praise God! How wonderful!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by! I would love to hear from you. Have a beautiful day! :-)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...