Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Let There be Light!

I've been on the hunt recently for a "new" lamp at Goodwill.  Some of my family members were a little shocked and dismayed last year when we bought new furniture, matching coffee and end tables, and matching lamps.  It was just a little too....matchy-matchy.  We just weren't entirely comfortable with the "decorator" look and preferred the mismatched look we were used to.


Plus, the new lamps don't light the room very well with their dark shades.  I finally found what I was looking for at GW.

It had a hideous speckled finish, but a nice shape and details.


 I gave it a nice coat of aqua, and tried it out for a couple of days with a cream-colored lampshade.  I wasn't very happy with it because the shade seemed too yellow.  (I'm on the hunt for a white drum shade, though.)


I was trying to figure out how to glaze it and bring out the details without going shopping (again) to buy glaze.  I finally remembered my bin of acrylic craft paint and a little bottle of Extender that I thought would work.  The extender keeps the paint from drying too quickly so you have more "open" time to work with it.
 So, I did this to it.  It was very scary and I was very nervous!  I painted it black and then wiped off most of it.


 I like it much, much better now.  I even think the shade looks a lot better on it!


Sorry the pics are all so bad.  I don't think you can see the full effect in the last photo, but I hope you can see the difference between the plain aqua and the glaze!
Watcha think?


I'm linking up with Melissa at The Inspired Room, today!

5 comments:

  1. Very nice -- will you come and paint my dining room chandelier?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is great! You did a great job, repurposing a lovely find. I like the shape and height of it, just perfect for your table. And, I have to tell you the Pieta sure caught my eye, a favorite of mine. Just a thought; have you read "Living with Lindsay's" blog? I think you would like it. :) Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the pop of color! I just wanted to let you know, that I have a party on Friday's too if you would ever like to link up! www.remodelaholic.com

    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello sweet Sara - I'm a new follower of your blog via The Inspired Room! I love your lamp makeover and the technique you used! The color turned out fabulous. Thank you for sharing!

    Blessings,
    Marie
    http://emmacallsmemama.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by! I would love to hear from you. Have a beautiful day! :-)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...