Friday, December 19, 2008

Friday Fail!

It's getting late, I'll bet you thought I failed!

Actually, I didn't have any failures this week, or, at least, not the kind I'm going to tell you about. There was a Fail last week, but it wasn't mine.

Last week, we were celebrating the Feast of Our Lady of Guadalupe with sopapillas and TMax was in the kitchen mixing them up. He's almost 13 and actually quite good in the kitchen. Smart boy. Knows how to read. Knows how to handle a mixer.



Well, maybe not so much on the reading. The recipe called for 4 cups of flour and 4 T of sugar. Now, I'm sure most of you can see that that said "4 Tablespoons" of sugar. Not teaspoons, which is the mistake he might have made as a novice chef. However, he read it as 4 CUPS of sugar!!

When he called me into the kitchen to add the liquid and roll out the dough, I (wisely, I might add) ran through the list of ingredients to double-check that he had added everything.

4 cups of flour?
Check.
4 tablespoons of sugar?
Check.
Ummmm, did you say tablespoons? I thought it said 4 CUPS!

After a long while and my mixing up a new batch of dough, he decided it was funny after all and said he'd let me use it on the blog. What a sweetheart!

So in the interest of frugality, we had a mixing bowl of flour, sugar, salt, and baking soda sitting on the counter for 4 days until I had time to figure out what I could do with it. Hitch want to bake chocolate chip cookies, so I had him do the math with the recipe so we could use it up. We had to triple the Toll House recipe to use all that flour and sugar. Even then it had more white sugar than brown, instead of equal parts. But we only had 1 small bag of chips which Hitch used 1/3 of the batter for. I added chopped cranberries and pecans to the other 2/3 for the cranberry-nut cookies we had at the Christmas Tour of Homes. Weren't they yummy?

Maybe if you're lucky, I'll have a spectacular Fail next week. For Christmas.

2 comments:

  1. so actually it was a saved fail! Nice rebound!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great save!! I couldn't have figured this out if I tried. Unfortunately, my garbage can eats lots of my fails! Kudos to you!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by! I would love to hear from you. Have a beautiful day! :-)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...