Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Was that what you call a fender-bender?

It didn't feel like a fender bender when we were hit from behind yesterday, but I guess it was.  We're all essentially fine----but we were rear-ended while leaving TMax's school.  I was turning right onto a heavily traveled 6-lane road (3 lanes each direction), and I stopped to check for oncoming traffic, of which there was plenty, traveling at 45+ miles per hour.  The woman behind me stopped briefly, she said, and then  "just went."  Why she "went" I don't know, because from what I saw there were lots of cars coming and our street had a red light!  When I lifted my head from the steering wheel, I vaguely realized there was traffic whizzing by and we were partially in their lane.

Praise be to God that we weren't hit by any of that oncoming traffic and all the kids were buckled in!  Meg and I whacked our heads the worst, and I know I'll be spending too many weeks at the chiropractor (again) since my head was twisted to the left and I hit both sides of it on the seat and steering wheel.   It doesn't hurt much, but I can't turn it properly.   Still, it's not as bad as last time:

The car is not totalled, and
There were no scary trips to the ER

The woman who hit us was very apologetic, but I'm ashamed to admit that I couldn't just brush off the accident and be very forgiving.  I was much nicer to the young man who hit us before----maybe because he was so concerned for our welfare, and I completely understand why he hit us---because accidents happen there all the time.  She, on the other hand, was on the phone, had a red light, and was entering a very busy road.  So, as you can see, I'm still not very forgiving.  Just very annoyed. 

The absolute worst part about it is the paranoia that follows.  It's been 3 years since that last event, and I'm still freaked out when I have to stop suddenly, terrified that someone behind me is going to hit me.

I think I'll be praying a lot more rosaries in the car from now on.  And saying my Guardian Angel prayer before I hit the road.


Angel sent by God to guide me,
be my light and walk beside me,
be my Guardian and protect me,
On the paths of light direct me.

Or:

Angel of God, my Guardian dear,
to whom God's love commits me here,
Ever this day be at my side, 
to light and guard, to rule and guide.

Thank you, Dear Friend, for being there for us yesterday!

2 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry that happened to you again. How awful. I,too, would be nervous about stopping now!

    Cars technically don't have fenders any more but even if they did I don't think getting hit so hard your head hits the wheel is a fender bender. I bet your neck will feel worse before it feels better. :-(

    Ohio just passed a "no texting and driving" law but I think people on phones are just as dangerous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Forgiving is one thing; condoning is another. In this case, bad behavior led to that accident.
    I hope that you and the kids are not in too much pain just now, and I hope the other driver got an appropriate ticket for her actions. I also hope that she learns a lesson--and Barbara is right--people on phones are just as dangerous as people texting. Also, I see far more ADULTS using phones or texting behind the wheel than I do teenagers (and living less than 2 miles from 2 high schools, I see plenty of teens on the road.) People always blame kids for TWD, but it's NOT just the kids.
    Gentle hugs!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by! I would love to hear from you. Have a beautiful day! :-)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...