Sunday, October 28, 2012

What did Mourdock mean?

I awoke early yesterday morning with this Bible verse running through my head, over, and over, again:
For I know well the plans I have in mind for you—oracle of the LORD—plans for your welfare and not for woe, so as to give you a future of hope. 
Jeremiah 29:11
I commented on another blog last week about the unfortunate comments of Richard Mourdock who said that  "I think that even when life begins in that horrible situation of rape, that it is something that God intended to happen."   I suggested that he probably meant that the child itself was conceived as a gift from God.  It seems like a cruel joke to inflict on a woman who has been raped, but another verse was running through my head yesterday, too.

God does not cause evil, but He knows what is going to happen, and perhaps the child is the "way out" for the victim.  Obviously, in our fallen, anti-life society many of these babies are simply aborted as a way of forgetting the pain.   I don't know any survivors of rape (or if I do, they haven't told me), but I wonder how many who carry their babies to term are sorry that they did so.  I'm sure that the babies are often given up for adoption, but the mother has the satisfaction of knowing that she didn't compound the evil done to her.  And the mothers who keep their babies---do those children end up bringing joy to their wounded moms?  Maybe at some point, the mom will be able to say that while a terrible crime was perpetrated on her, she's okay because she has a precious child that wouldn't have existed otherwise.  I can't imagine any woman who kept her child regretting that decision!  

Every child is a gift.  You hear that all the time in the abortion debate.  It's true, but probably even more so in the case of a rape.


1 comment:

  1. I saw other's comments about his comment and they were saying he must be crazy to think the baby resulting from a rape is a gift from God. So, so sad.
    First they are extremely rare (babies from rape), but absolutely they are a gift. Is any child anywhere less of a gift than any other because of the circumstance of his conception? Just remove the child from the rape and is he any less of a human, or is he any less of a gift from God? That is why no abortion is acceptable. The child is a gift irregardless of the parent. And every child is absolutely wanted by God and God can bring good from all evil. That is probably what he (R.M.) meant to say.

    It makes me very upset when I hear abortion should be illegal except in circumstances of rape or incest. Is that baby worthy of murder more so than another? Even if the mother gives the baby up for adoption, is not the act of bringing a baby to the world rather than snuffing its life bringing good from evil?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by! I would love to hear from you. Have a beautiful day! :-)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...