Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Knitting and Knitting Along




~Joining Ginny for the Yarn Along today.  Stop by to see what everyone else is knitting and reading!~



This is the crumpled up wad of my Citron scarf/chapel veil.   The color isn't very citrus-y, but it was the perfect project for this black merino I've had for ages.  If it works as a veil after blocking, I'll have my very own chapel veil for when the Spirit or occasion moves me.  I have only 7 rows left to go of the ruffle, and what looks like barely enough yarn.  I hate the tension at the end of a project when you're not sure you're going to make it!  And the tension is bound to last a while since there are over 500 tiny stitches in each row.

There's a pile of books going nowhere on my nightstand, but I did pick up a book last week and managed to finish it in just a few days.  It was Sarah's Key.  The Holocaust always fascinated me as a child, throughout high school and college, so I really "enjoyed" this book.

It was beautifully told with a history lesson that neither my husband nor I had learned.  Coincidentally, he learned about the Vel d'Hiv roundup the same day I did, from a different source!  I wasn't a fan of the marital issues and the long-drawn-out wrap up of relationships at the end of the novel, but overall it was an excellent read.  She seems to have done her research thoroughly.

The day after I finished it, we stumbled across the movie version on Netflix which I watched with the kids.  Fortunately, the director cut a lot of the relationship stuff I couldn't stand out of the movie!  It wasn't too horrific for Meg and Pip (10 & 13) to see, but it was very educational and we've had several conversations about WWII since then.

I'd love to know if anyone else read this book or saw the movie---or ever learned about it in school!

2 comments:

  1. I have never seen a Citron in black. That is going to look really nice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. we read "the diary of anne frank" in 8th grade and then read various holocaust-themed or persecution-themed ya fiction afterwards.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by! I would love to hear from you. Have a beautiful day! :-)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...