Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Our Day at Callaway


Yesterday we went to Callaway Gardens on the spur of the moment. We had a day with no appointments or errands to run and decided to go have fun. I, and the 2 youngest, had never been there before. Granted, February is not the best month of the year to go to a giant garden, but it was still beautiful and peaceful. We had fun, saw nature, and got some exercise. And did I mention that it's free for the month of February? That influenced our decision somewhat.

After a 2 hour drive and a relaxing lunch in the sun, next to the lake, we went to the Birds of Prey show. We got up close and personal to Windy the falcon and Vinny the Vulture. He was very neat and a free-flight bird, i.e. on the loose the whole time. He was very well trained and I have a new respect for vultures, which are NOT, btw, birds of prey. So don't ask me why she was showing him to us!


Of course, one of the highlights of the trip is the Butterfly Center. It's a wonderland of plants and flowers and butterflies fluttering everywhere. Unfortunately, they don't often sit still for photographs, but I got a couple of good shots.


This is the Owl Butterfly. It's amazing how realistic that "eye" is! And he's a gorgeous blue and black on the other side!



We made a special point of seeing this 1830's log cabin since we're studying pioneers now.



There were some goofy kids playing in it!


A couple of gratuitous flower shots. I even took a photo of the lichens because they're beautiful up close!

I guess that's a berry, not a flower. But it was pretty.



Here's a beautiful Lenten Rose, which was just starting to bloom. I wish I had some of these in my yard!

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful pics. Calloway is where Robert proposed to me on the first day of Spring in 1995. We need to go back. Thanks for the memories.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by! I would love to hear from you. Have a beautiful day! :-)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...