Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Dog Days(book)

FOR TODAY

Outside my window...
A purple twilight following a gorgeous August day (or 5).

I am thankful...
For a teenager who can drive.

From the school table...
We are slowly getting into the new rhythm.  Too slowly.  Some days we are surprised by the amount of work, or we are just reluctant to work hard, and there is early morning homework before we get in the car.  Not my favorite way to start the day!  They are enjoying school, for the most part.  There are always classes or teachers that are not the favorites.

In the kitchen...
The 7 weeks of menus and shopping lists that I planned are definitely worth the many hours spent at the computer!  The next step is getting under way this week:  I've planned out the most sensible days and times to go do my shopping at Publix,  Trader Joes, and meet up with the farmer who supplies the milk, eggs, and grassfed meets.  Everyone is going to have to deal with deli meat shortages and make do with PBJ if we run out!  All the extra trips to the store really add up to huge time and money wasters.  These days, I have plenty to keep me busy at home on school days, that I don't need to add in quick trips to the stores!

I am wearing...
Shorts and a v-neck.  Summer uniform.  I'm starting to think about fall clothes....but not ready yet!

What I’m doing with fiber...
Right now I'm plying the merino/silk that I spun.  I'm very not happy with how it is turning out.  After this, my spinning is done for a while, so I'll be knitting up all this handspun fiber.  Somehow.  I think that (below) is pretty, so I might not ply all of it, after all.

I am going...
Crazy.  Seriously crazy with the driving.  The traffic is unreal.  I swear, half a million people moved into my county over the summer and now they're all on the road driving their kids to school.  We're only a couple of weeks into the school year; AHG hasn't started yet (Thursday); and I'm over it.  I'm actually surprised at how difficult it is.  I'm not sure why it's so much harder than I expected, but I'm ready to have a nervous breakdown already.

I am wondering...

I am reading...
I just finished listening to The Favoured Child on Overdrive.  It's part of the Wideacre Trilogy by Philippa Gregory.  I've read (or listened to) the 2nd and 3rd books and found them very compelling.  (I'm reading the trilogy backwards, but that doesn't seem to make much difference, seeing as how the main character has "the sight" and you know from her recurring dream how it's going to end!)  I was disappointed in the ending of the third book, but, having finished the second, now I can see better than one of the themes is being true to yourself, as opposed to following convention.

I am hoping and praying...
...For Thomas Peter's recovery
...a mom with cervical cancer
...for Christians in the Middle East

I am looking forward to...
Getting my car back from the transmission guy.  2 transmissions in 2 years is 2 many!    The bright spot is zipping through the traffic sitting in stop and go traffic (haha!) in a tiny car that gets great mileage!

I am hearing on my ipod...
Podcasts, sometimes, and books from Overdrive.  But I have got to tell you about my favorite new app!  Maybe I'll have time tomorrow.

Around the house...
Clean kitchen cabinets and 5 loads of folded laundry during my "free time" today while Meg and Pip were at school.

One of my favorite things...
The "perfect" maxi dress that my dear Katie brought home for me from Banana Republic.  She insisted on getting it and bringing it to me for me to try on---since she knows I hate the mall.  And she was right.  I love it, and I wore it all day Sunday.  Can't wait to wear it again----but I'm not quite ready to just throw on a maxi (especially a nice one) and go to the store!

A few plans for the rest of the week...
Ugh.  Lots of rosaries, I think.

Hosted by The Simple Woman's Daybook

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad you like the dress so much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The yarn looks lovely, even if it is helping drive you crazy. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by! I would love to hear from you. Have a beautiful day! :-)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...