Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Pre-Dawn Daybook

FOR TODAY

Outside my window...
Dark.  Spring is just about here, but the spring storms have already arrived, sending us down in to the basement until they pass.  Yesterday was interesting here in GA, but fortunately the storm broke up in our area and we could relax.

I am thinking...
About our new Pope.  I am looking forward to getting to know him; he seems like a beautiful, caring person, as a pope should be.   I am happy that we got up early for the inauguration Mass this morning; it was a great way to start the day.  I'm a person who doesn't like change, though, so I'm just waiting and watching, reading other people's opinions, and watching them get smacked down for judging....so I'll just keep watching.  ;-)

I am thankful...
For the Hearts Afire Parish Programs.  I'm leading a 33 Days to Morning Glory group, and I'm participating in Consoling the Heart of Jesus.  It's a lot, I will admit.  It's definitely "doing" something for Lent!  But I love them both!  I'm getting so much more out of the Morning Glory retreats in a group than I did reading the book on my own, and I woke up the other morning anxious for my next Consoling the Heart of Jesus retreat.  I highly recommend finding one of these retreats in your area, or starting one yourself.  They are so good!

From the school table...
We are trying to stay on course.  Meg and Pip are officially enrolled in their hybrid school for next year.  One of my homeschooling friends who also does the hybrid says that it is NOT homeschooling.  It's just part time school.  But I'm okay with that.

In the kitchen...
Every day it comes as a surprise to me that I need to cook dinner...again.  Go ahead, roll your eyes!  I'm just in a serious cooking slump after 26 years of daily dinner planning.  I know, it's my job so it shouldn't be such a big deal.  I'm perfectly happy to get up and take care of the kids, nag them, do their laundry, educate them, drive them places, but I'm tired of the food aspect for some reason.  It's obviously past time to come up with a new set of monthly menus.  Or something.  Ideas?

Ah, but today being the Solemnity of St. Joseph, and a break from Lenten penances (if you were doing any of those!), and a big Italian feast day, as my half-Italian father reminded me, I think I'll try to have a little fun in the kitchen.  Is there such a thing as paleo cannoli?

I am hearing...
Audrey Assad.  I think I love her music.

I am knittingcrocheting...
A flat ripple afghan.  It's still fun, but I'm itching to break away from the scrap version and make a beautiful ombre version.

I am going... (to miss...)
Found out yesterday that I'm going to miss seeing my TMax off on his first prom because I'll be camping.  Grrrr.

I am reading...
A Walk in the Woods by Bill Bryson for book club.  It's about hiking the Appalachian Trail, and I loved the book the first time I read it, but this time it's feeling about as long as the trail itself.

Thanks to Barbara, I found out about Overdrive, which I uploaded to my phone, and I'm listening to War Horse on it.

I am praying...
for Pope Francis, Pope Emeritus Benedict, Barb's FIL, a homeschooling friend who is pregnant and has cervical cancer, for vocations, and for all our priests and deacons.

I am looking forward to...
Easter, Spring flowers

I am hearing on my ipod...
(See "I am reading...")

Around the house...
So much to do.  Anxious for that spurt of energy that gets me started!  What gets you moving when it's time to paint a bedroom (or 2)?

A few plans for the rest of the week...
CHJ retreat, Boy Scouts, Teen Classics Book Club, field trip, AHG, Adoration---and that just gets us to Friday.  There are about 5 things on the calendar for Saturday, alone!

Here is picture thought I am sharing...
No pictures.  :-(  I really need to start taking more pictures.

Hosted by The Simple Woman's Daybook

3 comments:

  1. I think I missed something--what is Hybrid school? You are homeschooling, who cares what others think--I just wrote about this, things people say, to tear us down. (without even knowing it)

    My husband sat down with me before the last 2 grocery trips (I plan 2 weeks worth of menus and shop for 2 weeks) and he helped plan and pick the meals--he even learned how to pin things on my Pinterest! (meals) It is so nice to cook and know it's what he wants. And it's kind of a home "date" to plan it together! (we are desperate sometimes)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jamie Jo, a hybrid is where the kids go to school with real teachers 2 or 3 days per week. High School is 3 days; elementary and middle are 2 days. The teachers teach all the lessons for the week and we just do homework on the "off" days.

      My friend was absolutely not tearing me down! She is an experienced homeschooler, like me, and she has her kids enrolled in this hybrid school, too. She just meant that you're committed to following *their* curriculum as written and sticking to *their* schedule and losing the real flexibility of homeschooling. Really, it's just part-time school with the advantage of small classes (just 12 in Meg's class, and no more than 15 in HS), really faithful Catholicism, and less expensive than private Catholic.

      Delete
  2. Oh, hope I didn't offend your friend, I took you wrong. So sorry about that. I want a Hybrid thingy offered here. Sounds great! They must give quite a bit of homework though? On the days they go, is a full, normal day?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by! I would love to hear from you. Have a beautiful day! :-)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...