Monday, June 6, 2011

Humility

humility |(h)yoōˈmilitē|nouna modest or low view of one's own importance; humbleness.ORIGIN Middle English : from Old French humilite, from Latin humilitas, from humilis (see humble ).
The definition makes it sound like humility is a bad thing, especially in our time where it's all about "me" and how special I am.I often think of humility in terms of my cantoring at Mass.  It's something I do for God and sometimes he gives me a little dose of humility during the Mass.  Sometimes it's a waaaay bigger dose than I care for, but I try to swallow my pride, endure my burning face, and move past it.  After all, I did it for Him, and He can allow for my imperfections, I'm okay with that.  Well, no, the truth is:  I'm not okay with it.  But He hasn't yet given me the message that I'm supposed to stop cantoring (I've asked, believe me!), so I continue.  I got a big lesson in humility just last week at our American Heritage Girls planning meeting, only it was a much more pleasant lesson than the other kind.   We had a lot to accomplish and it was going to take forever.  At least, more time than we had scheduled.  So we split into 2 groups and one group did paperwork while the other women planned the calendar for the year.  They did a great job and the Board members were/are extremely grateful.  But then they were thanking us for the leadership and and being such a great Troop Board!One part of me recognizes my talents in leadership and the ability to delegate (but if you know me at all, you know how hard it is for me to put that into words, even if I do think it occasionally), but I suddenly understand what people mean when they say something like, "I am truly honored and humbled to be a part of this organization."  Seriously, it's the dedication of those Leaders and parents who show me what real service is, and that our troop would not be what it is without their hard work.   It's not me and my leadership; it's the other hardworking moms who keep everything running and inspire me to do more.Now that's a lesson in humility that I'll take happily!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for dropping by! I would love to hear from you. Have a beautiful day! :-)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...