Monday, June 7, 2010

Green Thing redux


Before

Notice anything different?

After

The other day when I had a spare 15 minutes before picking up Madden from football practice, I got the urge to glaze the Green Thing.

TMax and I emptied it; I put it on a drop cloth (good thing, too!) and went to town  work.  I used the same method I used on the lamp, but this wood sure soaked up the glaze a lot more!

Naturally, I didn't finish in 15 minutes, or 25 for that matter.  So I left to pick up Pete and came back to finish the legs.    I turned out a lot darker than I expected.  I sanded and distressed it a bit to deal with that.  It has taken me a few days to get comfortable with it, but I'm liking it a lot more now.  It actually looks a lot more like it did in my childhood.


I should have taken a picture of the mess on the kitchen table.  You'd be amazed at how much stuff we pulled out of there!  It was, of course, our Whole School Year since we use the Green Thing to store our daily schoolwork (instead of using the schoolroom, which might be a more obvious choice).

Naturally, it became the perfect opportunity to sort through the books:  Keep, Toss, Sell, or Put Away (in the schoolroom).  It took a couple of days to do that, and I found I had a big pile To Sell, to add to the crate of stuff already waiting to be sold.  So I spent all of Saturday morning making a long list of items and prices to post for sale on Cathswap.

I'm happy to report that my Green Thing is glazed and contains books for summer school and the coming year; my kitchen table is cleaned off;  and I've sold a lot of books this weekend!


What will you accomplish with a spare 15 minutes today???

4 comments:

  1. Oh, I love it! I have a dry sink that needs paint and I may have to try that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do love it.. With lots of small ones in my home.. any extra scratches would give the piece extra "character"

    ReplyDelete
  3. TMax wanted to know why I was making it look OLDER! Lol. I tried to explain that old things have more character than shiny new things. Maybe he'll eventually translate that into crows feet and stretch marks, too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A nap!!

    It's cute but I don't care for the distressed look or shabby chic myself

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by! I would love to hear from you. Have a beautiful day! :-)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...