Saturday, January 10, 2009

Snitch Cake

Pipster wanted a snitch birthday cake since he has been working his way through the Harry Potter series. I'm no Backpacking Cakester, but I think it turned out pretty well.

I baked the cake in a glass, oven-safe bowl to get it round. I'd rather buy a bowl that can be used for other purposes than a ball cake pan that only gets used on the occasions a child asks for a round cake. And this is the first time in 19 years I've had this request! I didn't have any trouble getting the cake out of the bowl when it was done. I have yet to see if it is cooked all the way through, but I think it is. 350ยบ for 1 hour 15 minutes!


I cut off the top so it would sit flat on the platter. Now that I think about it, I also should have sliced it in half and put a layer of frosting inside.


I got some gold powder to sprinkle on top to make it sparkle. I don't think you can tell in the pictures, but it was kind of cool. A lot more would have been better, but I didn't have a good shaker for it and it was taking too long, one pinch at a time!


Then I got some vellum from the scrapbooking aisle to make the wings. It's kind of pearly. I wanted gold sparkles, but I couldn't find that! I think they turned out pretty well.


Pip was very excited when he came home and saw it. I had hoped his excitement would soothe his disappointment about not getting to help, but I was afraid I would be frustrated and testy, so I did it without him.

Good thing, too. I was frustrated and testy with just myself. It very nearly turned into a Friday Fail, but we won't go into that.

1 comment:

  1. I think your cake turned out just fine. Very creative.
    We have one more thing in common. My Lea just celebrated her 10th birthday this weekend too. Too funny.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by! I would love to hear from you. Have a beautiful day! :-)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...