Monday, January 19, 2009

Primal Chili

Yesterday we had chili for the 2nd time in a week. Or less. The first one was a recipe from Mark's Daily Apple which sounded good and we'd never tried beer in chili. It was good, but we didn't love it---especially when the whole family loves my regular chili, which, they are fond of reminding me, won a chili cook-off at church a couple of years ago. I like my chili, too, but I'm pretty sure it was just because I had the biggest family there and was guaranteed 8 votes. With 30 crockpots of chili, it's hard to get many votes at all! But, I digress...

I had some stew meat leftover, so we decided to have chili again which ended up being a cross between Mark's and mine. His was not quite primal because of the beer; mine was not quite primal because of the beans. But it was fabulous, if I do say so myself. So here is the recipe. If you try it, be sure to let me know how you like it!

Sara's Semi-Primal Chili

1 lb. stew beef

1 lb. ground chuck

1 lg. onion

4 fire-roasted red peppers (from a jar or fresh), chopped

2 poblano peppers, seeded and chopped

2 20 oz. cans crushed tomatoes

1 lg. can chili beans

1 T cumin

2 T chili powder

1 tsp cinnamon

1 tsp salt

Cook meat, onions, and peppers together. Let the fat re-absorb into the meat. Slightly carmelize the onions, if you want. Add tomatoes, beans, and spices. Simmer 2 hours. Just before serving, remove chunks of stew meat, shred them and return to pot. Serve with shredded queso fresco, and sour cream.

1 comment:

  1. O.k. I'm sure poblanos are not a problem where you are, but in central Ohio -- hah! Any recommendations for a substitute? Are they as hot as jalapeƱo?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by! I would love to hear from you. Have a beautiful day! :-)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...