1. We had our first American Heritage Girls troop meeting last night! It was great to see all those beautiful, little faces, full of excitement. I was a little sick to my stomach and felt like throwing up beforehand, but hey, what's a little stress? It all went really well; the girls were attentive and so were the moms. I think my daughter had a good time in her unit because she talked nonstop once we got home and it was time for her to go to bed.
2. This morning, 2 of her AHG friends are coming over to work on the the Cooking achievement badge. Pippo goes to their house to spend time with boys and work on scienc-y stuff, and I get the girls to work on badges. Frankly, I'd prefer to lie around the house and do next-to-nothing on a Friday after a meeting, but this is still better than "real school."
3. The weather is actually changing! It's cool this morning, and I'm sitting here with chilly arms and a slightly, sniffly nose, drinking a cup of warm coffee, which I haven't done in ages. Yesterday, the kids were dragging huge fleece blankets around the house to stay wrapped up in while doing their schoolwork. (And just to clutter up the house.)
Someone asked me the other day if I had had a good summer, and my answer was 'No'. You know why, it was just insanely busy all summer, and I'm glad it's over. But I'm not glad the hot weather is over! I love the heat! Of course, yesterday was an absolutely gorgeous day---not too hot, not too cold. Just right.
4. We had our first choir rehearsal this week with the new director. It was good to be back; I was ridiculously excited to get to sing again. Frankly, I just like rehearsal, I can live without the singing at Mass! There was a lot of talking and getting to know him, and telling him how we've always done things. He's a very nice man; he seems open and willing to listen, and not rock the boat too much. But it looks like we're going to be stuck with the extremely contemporary hymnals for the next year. One of my friends who does church music and has an ensemble that she directs remarked that going from our Collegeville hymnal to Breaking Bread is a huuuge leap. There are other hymnals, like Gather, that would be less drastic.
I'm sure I'm offending folks who prefer a contemporary Mass, and don't mind that sort of music. There's quite a bit of it that I actually like----the problem is that it doesn't inspire (in me) the sort of reverence I feel for Jesus in the Blessed Sacrament and that I feel is appropriate to the Holy Mass.
5. Talking about church music, doesn't exactly make for a Quick Take! I could do lots of long posts on how I feel about it all!
6. Yesterday's AHG meeting completely overshadowed Mary's birthday. I hated not doing anything to mark the occasion, but we'll be celebrating with our homeschool group on Saturday with a big potluck picnic. I hope she understands!
7. It's time to quit and go downstairs to do the Supreme90. But it's cold and I want to curl up on the sofa with a blanket and a book. Yep---the weather's a-changin'!
Stop by Jennifer's for more Quick Takes! And have a great weekend, y'all!