Sunday, May 8, 2011

Happy Mother's Day!

 Maria Johnson said...

did you get your marathon? the BBC marathon, not the moving, painting, cleaning marathon.

Not exactly.  I haven't seen the TV at all today! After Mass, the children conned us into going out to lunch, and because of the crowds we ended up at a very quiet, new Chinese place just outside our neighborhood.  
The lunch was wonderful.  Even moreso because there was enough left over for dinner!
Don had to work this afternoon, something that he tries very hard to avoid on a Sunday, but despite his best efforts he still had to go to the office for a few hours.  Pete offered to help paint Tom's new room, so he started painting and I had to go to Lowe's for extra supplies.  I did some painting and then went to the pool with Meg and Pip for an hour or so.  
There I got to read my new bookclub book.  Yay!
I did some more painting between the pool and dinner, and then went for a walk with my hub.  It has been a full, busy day, but in the best way.  The kids were helpful and loving (though I kept reminding them they should be that way Every. Day.) and I had no expectations.
I realized a few years ago that if I expect perfection and pampering, I'm going to be nothing but disappointed.  Our duty in life does not lie in relaxing, and expecting others to serve us.  Our duty is defined by our state in life, and as a wife and mother I can't just sit around making demands.  Nor do I want to.  I'm sure I tried that in the past and it only made all of us miserable!  And there are still days when I'm probably too demanding, and I make everyone miserable, but not because I simply want to be served.
In short, it was a terrific day.  I had fun with my family, I got some work done (and yes, I know it's Sunday, but does it really count as work if you enjoy it?) and we're all relaxed.  I shed a few tears at Mass for my own mom this morning, but I'm grateful to have had such a wonderful mother, and I thank God for that and the gift of being a mom.

1 comment:

  1. Happy Mother's Day, Sarah! (My wishing you this today means you get to celebrate it today, too.)

    Your mother is lovely and SO IS YOUR KNITTING! Sorry to yell, it's the envy. ;)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by! I would love to hear from you. Have a beautiful day! :-)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...