Friday, December 11, 2015

Jesse Tree Day 13

My favorite Advent tradition is reading daily scripture passages that start with creation and cover all the major episodes in salvation history through the birth of Christ. I hope you will enjoy sharing these readings at your dinner table with the lighted Advent wreath as much as I have over the years. 


Your light will come, O Jerusalem. The Lord will dawn on you in radiant beauty. We shall see the glory of the Lord, the splendor of our God. The sign of the cross shall appear in the heavens, when our lord shall come to judge the world.   ----A Prayer Book of Catholic Devotions

Day 13:  Jesse

Ornament: A shepherd's crook


Reading: {Short form in brackets}


The Peaceful Kingdom

11 [a]There shall come forth a shoot from the stump of Jesse,
    and a branch shall grow out of his roots.

and:

David Anointed as King

16 The Lord said to Samuel, “How long will you grieve over Saul, seeing I have rejected him from being king over Israel? Fill your horn with oil, and go; I will send you to Jesse the Bethlehemite, for I have provided for myself a king among his sons.” And Samuel said, “How can I go? If Saul hears it, he will kill me.” And the Lord said, “Take a heifer with you, and say, ‘I have come to sacrifice to the Lord.’ And invite Jesse to the sacrifice, and I will show you what you shall do; and you shall anoint for me him whom I name to you.”





No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for dropping by! I would love to hear from you. Have a beautiful day! :-)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...