Thursday, February 12, 2009

Homeschooling is a Mess!

Nice.


I may look good, but my house doesn't. Maybe it's just me, but every day my house gets trashed as we try to navigate our way through meals, schoolwork, appointments, laundry, and errands. I don't know how it happens! I'm a "clean surfaces" sort of gal, meaning that I can't be at rest unless all the surfaces are clean. Somehow, every day we manage to make a huge mess. We dashed out to piano lessons the other day and this is what I saw when we came back.


Now, we manage to get most of it cleaned up and put away every day, but our house is very lived-in. If you called and said you were on your way over for a visit, chances are you wouldn't see any of this. We would scurry around and do the dishes and pick up the clutter that ends up all over the main floor. If you just dropped in, (please do!) you might be lucky enough to see the reality of our homeschooling life!

Like the shadows of our snowflakes on the window?

I used to pick up constantly, and probably nag constantly, too. But I've decided there is not much point in that and the sofa cushions can be picked up and put in the proper places later in the day. The dishes in the sink pile up because someone didn't empty the dishwasher first thing, and it creates a veritable avalanche of dirty dishes. Especially when I'm busy and I don't notice right away! The sink dishes are the responsibility of the dishwasher person who slacked off. It's to his advantage to empty it asap so people can use it!


On some hormonal days, I can't tolerate the mess that builds up. Other days I'm much more peaceful about it. After all, I love being around my kids and spending this time with them (except on those hormonal days!!!). We have fun together and I'm trying not to nitpick about the little things. Someday, there won't be any socks lying around the house, or sofa cushions askew, or schoolbooks scattered around, and I won't know what to do with myself.

Well, I'll probably knit.

1 comment:

  1. I always said that women who take their kids to school and then go to work must have very clean houses because there is no one at home to mess it up. I'm sure it's not true (at least in most cases), but your house really does get lived in when you're home all day with kids to live in it!

    Someday we'll have a spotless house...someday.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by! I would love to hear from you. Have a beautiful day! :-)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...