Friday, February 6, 2009

7 Quick Takes Friday


1. Finally finished with the fish hats! I dreaded starting Little Princess's eyes because I was going to embroider the eyeballs (since she wanted hers "alive"). I finally got around to starting yesterday while they did their school lessons and I realized it was going to take forever, and why couldn't I just sew on little black felt pupils, instead. So, I did. It was done in 10 minutes and is adorable!





2. American Heritage Girls was good last night. We're working on getting the moms more involved so our little group will grow. If anyone knows of an easy, quick fundraiser for little girls, I would love to know about it!

3. Confirmation was awesome on Tuesday night. It was a smaller group than usual, so the church wasn't overcrowded. Archbishop Gregory gives a great homily, but more than that, I love the way he quizzes the Confirmands when they come up for the anointing. He asks them various questions about the patron saint they chose, questions about the Church, or why they chose a certain sponsor. Sometimes its embarrassing for the teens who have a hard time coming up with the answers, but it's always fun and we get a bunch of 30 second homilies. I'm very proud of my son---not only for giving a good answer, but for being who he is!



4. When I went on a mini-retreat last month, I picked up a brochure on reading the Bible and the Catechism of the Catholic Church in one year. There is an Old Testament reading, a Psalm, a New Testament reading, and a section from the Catechism each day. So far, I'm not getting it done every day, though it is very doable. It only requires about 20 minutes per day. And until I went to look for that link just now, I had no idea it was from Marcus Grodi's Coming Home Network!

5. I'm still thinking about Amy Welborn's sudden loss of her husband, Michael Dubruiel, on Tuesday. She posted his last column on her blog; it is beautiful and thought-provoking. Go on and read it. It's what I keep coming back to during these dark days. We're surrounded on all sides by people dying, suffering horribly from cancer and other illnesses, terrible betrayals by people we thought we could trust, and the only thing to cling to is God and His Church.

6. I think I'm 2/3 finished with my first sock. I can't wait to wear them----it has been so cold here lately and my feet stay cold frequently. I just haven't had enough time to sit still and knit this week.

7. My boys are all going on a retreat tomorrow at Mother Angelica's Shrine of the Most Blessed Sacrament. I would love to go, too, but it's for men and boys. I will just have to content myself with sewing and knitting, and spending the day with the Little Princess!

Go visit www.conversiondiary.com for more Quick Takes!

2 comments:

  1. love the fish...couldnt you have just used black buttons for eyes? and the hearts make it a great valentine hat!

    congrats again to the new soldier!
    r

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm amazed by these hats! You are very talented and must have a lot of patience.

    I'm sorry to hear that you are going through a rough time. You are not alone. I love your blog too. It almost feels like we are neighbors.

    All of your kids are absolutely beautiful.

    Betrayal....it cuts to the core, dosen't it?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by! I would love to hear from you. Have a beautiful day! :-)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...