Monday, December 31, 2012

Last Day of 2012 Daybook

FOR TODAY

Outside my window...
The sky is full of those adorable, cottonball clouds.  I think they're stratocumulus---because it's a "layer" of "cumulus" clouds.

I am thinking...
About the new year and all that it may bring.  I'm really trying NOT to think of the Fiscal Cliff, however it's unavoidable, and managing the household better factors into the "resolutions" I'm making.

I used Jen Fulwiler's tips  this morning as a starting point for resolutions which I wholeheartedly resolve not to make. ;) It is good to spend a little time thinking about what can be improved in your life.  Let me rephrase that:  thinking about how you can improve.  But really, that's something we should be doing daily.  In the Catholic world, that's called an Examination of Conscience which is, ideally, done nightly, and then you get up and try to do better the next day.  Making New Year's Resolutions seems a lot like starting a new diet (and don't we all do that on January 1?), and then when we cheat, we go ahead and say the whole day is shot, might as well keep cheating and start again tomorrow, or next Monday.  (Don't even try to tell me I'm the only one!) Or worse, we give up for the whole year until we gain another 5-7 pounds over The Holidays, and yada yada yada...it's time to make more resolutions.  :)

So...instead of Resolutions, I have a list of 8 things I can work on to improve certain areas of my life.  And the nice thing is that I'm not a failure if I don't accomplish any one of them in a day.  They're things to work on every day.

What are you working on this year?

I am thankful...
For the new (used) car that DH got.  Now he's got a nicer ride to and from work, and there's another car for a young man who needs it.

From the learning rooms...
We are still on vacation until the 7th.  I'm yearning for some more structure to our days, so we'll have to institute that this week, or I'll just send them all back to school!  Or, more likely, I'll give them reading assignments and get them to help me strip wallpaper or clean out closets!

In the kitchen...
I have been absolutely l.o.v.i.n.g. the perpetual broth in the crockpot.  My turkey carcass went straight into the pot after dinner, so we we've had turkey broth all week.  Yesterday, I used some in the amazing gumbo that we had for dinner (totally new to us!), bottled the rest, and freed up the crockpot for tonight's pulled pork.  We'll have another chicken in a couple of days, or I'll roast some beef bones for the next batch of broth.  I know, you think it's weird, but it is so nice to have a cup of hot broth whenever.  If there are any Jewish mothers reading my blog, I'm sure they'd approve!

I am wearing...
New jeans that make me happy.  A new red cardigan that makes me smile, and some big, festive earrings that belonged to my mom and are perfect for New Year's Eve.  Even if we are staying home. :)

I am knitting...
An infinity scarf that I've started twice.  Today, I think I'll start it a third time on larger needles, otherwise it will take me an infinite amount of time to finish it!

I'm also crocheting a sparkly red shawl that I saw on the Drops Advent Calendar.  December 5.  I had the perfect yarn that I wouldn't use otherwise, so I'm making it.  One of my goals for the year should be to use all my yarn, or at least a lot of the scraps, because all my bins are full.

I am going...
Nowhere!

I am reading...
I'm supposed to be reading 1776 for this month's book club.  I haven't started, but then I've listened to it before.  Maybe I'll pull out the discs and listen again.

I am hoping and praying...
For an answer to my Christmas novena that gives me peace!
For my friend who was rear-ended and got her car totalled the other day.  I have a good idea how she feels physically and emotionally, and it's not good.
For baby Dominic Pio and his continued recovery.
For baby Simeon.

I am looking forward to...
Birthday month!  Three birthdays for the 3 youngest this year, starting on the feast of the Epiphany.  Pippo wants a Settlers of Catan themed party---has anyone done one of those?

I am hearing on my ipod...
Two new podcasts that I'm listening to:  The Catholics Next Door (who used to do a podcast, then moved to Sirius XM radio where I couldn't listen, and now they're back and better than ever!)

And something completely different:  Econ Talk with Russ Roberts.  It's fascinating and educational. 


Around the house...
I am making a list of projects that I'd like to accomplish this year. (You know I mean next year, right?  The one that starts tomorrow?)  I'll probably share those with you shortly!

One of my favorite things...
The lights on my my Christmas and Jesse trees that stay lit constantly from Christmas day onward.  (Note to self:  buy new lights before Thanksgiving---as soon as they show up in stores!)

A few plans for the rest of the week...
One meeting.

Here is picture  thought I am sharing...
Paperwhites:  Soon to be a motion picture!

Hosted by The Simple Woman's Daybook

1 comment:

  1. I make goals for myself which are ways I'd like to see improvement and usually go over them at the end of the year to see if I have improved any. One of the goals for many years was to do a genealogy scrapbook for my grandchildren. I finally finished some of these and gave them to my siblings and my children (daughter hasn't received hers yet) so they could be passed down to future generations. Some items that have been on my list in the past were: spend more quality time with my Honey....and find other couples to spend time with...find a church home....make a difference in someone's life.
    I never say lose 10 pounds but I do try to improve my eating and exercise habits.
    I enjoy reading your daybook.
    Mama Bear

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by! I would love to hear from you. Have a beautiful day! :-)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...