Monday, December 3, 2012

1st Monday in Advent Musings

~~~
We made some progress on Advent prep this weekend.  I put up the Jesse Tree which I just love with it's purple and pink ribbons awaiting its ornaments.  Stockings are hung, nativities are out, and my St. Nicholas collection.  And that is quite enough to make me cranky and the house a mess.  :-/

Simplicity is my new mantra, and I'm going to figure out how to simplify the decorating this year.  ....well, I say that, and then I immediately think that there are things I love and can't do without---like garland and lights on the bannister---but I can take all of Advent to put those things out, and all of the Christmas season to slowly put them away, as I normally do.

~~~
I'm kind of neutral on the subject of outdoor lights, but the weather was super-warm yesterday (in the '70's!), so my dear DH grabbed an idle boy and got to work.  It looks rather festive out there, I must say!

~~~
I sang with the church choir in their annual Christmas Gala on Saturday.  It was with a local symphony, and it was not at all what I expected.  There was a variety of music:  Ave Maria, songs from Home Alone, and the GaTech women's a cappella group.  Even a reading of The Night Before Christmas.  It was fun for me to sing with an orchestra for the first time.

~~~
One of our family traditions is for each of us to choose a new patron saint for the year at the beginning of Advent.  For the past couple of weeks, after our family decade, I've reminded everyone to choose a new saint.  Before bedtime, we pray a decade of the rosary, our family consecration prayer, and then pray for the intercession of each saint.  When I got to my saint, I'm last, we all looked at each other and said, "Fail!"  Oops, I mean, "Amen."  We had all forgotten, so we immediately went to the computer to Jen Fulwiler's Saint's Name Generator to help us out. Now we're all set, except for Pippo who didn't want a random saint, but a patron for a specific intention.

~~~
And after repeated online reminders to go out and buy candles for the Advent wreath, which smug blogger who bought large boxes of purple and pink a few years ago is now forced to use used candles?  Me, that's who.  

But I'm going to drop in the Catholic shop that is conveniently located next to Tom's school, today, to see if they have any left!

~~~

Is your Advent off to a great start?  What did you do this weekend?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for dropping by! I would love to hear from you. Have a beautiful day! :-)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...