Saturday, June 25, 2011

So I made my Scots Bonnet last week.  Note that nice, folded, double brim, which is a neat trick to learn for a hat, but it seems kind of big...

It's a bit shapeless at first, and it's makin' me a wee bit nervous...

It's got lumps all over it from the increasing and decreasing, but I'm thinkin' they'll be disappearin' in the feltin' process...

Here 'tis after bein' felted in the washer.  I tried it by hand, but my hands were wearin' out with all the hot water and the rubbin'...

Like my wee model?  She's wearin' a wool plate on her heid.
 I put a plate inside it to help it keep it's shape while drying.  I can see that the brim is too big for the hat, and the hat is too small for the heid.  It should fit on a 12" plate, and this one is only 9".

All dry, with my Clan Crest pinned to it.  The felting is lovely---it's a great color and all those lumps are definitely gone!

But it's just no right.  The brim fits a child, but the crown (?) is not in proper proportion.  It should be much bigger and floppier.  That's what I was afraid would happen before I felted it; I thought the brim was not right for the rest of it.  It's a simple enough pattern that I can change the number of stitches for the brim and for the widest part of the hat to make it better.  


Maybe next week?

I'd love to hear your thoughts on felting, especially if you've tried it before!  I love the "fabric"---it looks so warm and waterproof (which I guess is the whole point)!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for dropping by! I would love to hear from you. Have a beautiful day! :-)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...